Pekín duck with bubbles in eyes

Beloved Turkey

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
My Pekín duck who had niacin deficiency has gotten bubbles in the corner but f her eyes, I can’t show a picture right now but will get one in the morning if she still has them. What could be causing this and what can I do. I separated her from her other two cage mates because I don’t know if it’s contagious. She eating and drinking she’s a laying duck but I don’t know how often as she’s been with other ducks but I will start to moniter. Is it because she’s in the same room as a sick chicken. Their cages are pretty far apart and the chicken is in a mostly closed of kennel, but could this be it. None of the other ducks have it and she doesn’t seems to have breathing problems it’s just the yes for now. I need to give her a bath, so will that fix it. And yes I have been posting a lot for those who are paying attention but it’s been a heck of a winter and it seems like everybody’s sick right nownow

My Pekín duck who had niacin deficiency has gotten bubbles in the corner but f her eyes, I can’t show a picture right now but will get one in the morning if she still has them. What could be causing this and what can I do. I separated her from her other two cage mates because I don’t know if it’s contagious. She eating and drinking she’s a laying duck but I don’t know how often as she’s been with other ducks but I will start to moniter. Is it because she’s in the same room as a sick chicken. Their cages are pretty far apart and the chicken is in a mostly closed of kennel, but could this be it. None of the other ducks have it and she doesn’t seems to have breathing problems it’s just the yes for now. I need to give her a bath, so will that fix it. And yes I have been posting a lot for those who are paying attention but it’s been a heck of a winter and it seems like everybody’s sick right nownow
I don't know much about the bubble eye. My goose gets it every so often, but that's usually after he's been stressed and I'll spray it with a saline wash and his eye is fine for several months. It never seems to hurt him.

I did post on another thread regarding this issue earlier though to see if there's other treatment options- I haven't gotten a response yet. Has your hen been lethargic at all?

I don't know much about the bubble eye. My goose gets it every so often, but that's usually after he's been stressed and I'll spray it with a saline wash and his eye is fine for several months. It never seems to hurt him.

I did post on another thread regarding this issue earlier though to see if there's other treatment options- I haven't gotten a response yet. Has your hen been lethargic at all?
She is a bit lethargic because she had a limp caused by niacin deficiency and her legs are really weak. She still walks and drinks just not for too long if she has the choice I’m working on strengthening her first. The bubles are gone today, should I still do a saline wash and is it contagious or can I put her back with her friends for now

These are both her eyes

Attachments

• 22A67A3D-A187-40B0-8E05-17A944F1E983.jpeg
    22A67A3D-A187-40B0-8E05-17A944F1E983.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 3
  • F4BE4911-8887-4629-8ED0-369A5FACA218.jpeg
    F4BE4911-8887-4629-8ED0-369A5FACA218.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 3
From another thread:
Someone suggested MG above this post, but someone will probably bring it up on this one, too, so let’s start here with what
@azygous said:
Whoa! Hold on. Is it just the one hen with actual symptoms? Are bubbling eyes the only symptom? If it's just bubbles in the eyes (both eyes or just one?) it may be a simple eye infection or a foreign body irritating the eye. Not all bubbles in the eye automatically mean MG.

Try flushing the eye(s) with saline eye wash or lubricant. Then use a dab of Neosporin directly in the eye.

MG is so contagious, in the span of time since you first noticed this hen had bubbly eye(s) at least another one or two birds would be showing symptoms. Try the eye flush and ointment. Then just calmly keep an eye out for symptoms in the others.

Meanwhile, it won't hurt to get a supply of Tylosin to have on hand just in case. This place sells it without a prescription but they are in and out of stock so I would order it while you can. It's water soluble powder and easy to treat an entire flock in their water. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
It can also happen due to breeding behaviors
https://thecapecoop.com/foamy-eye-disease-ducks/

What I DO feel pretty confident about is that either it isn’t new, or, you might need to take a look at your water situation.

Those crusties on her cheeks say that
- she’s either had this for a while and you’ve not seen it,
- she doesn’t have consistent access to clean water deep enough at the minimum that she can dunk her whole head, or,
- there may be something else going on.

At any rate, if it IS MG, everyone already has it.
No reason to keep her in the quarantine pen IMO

From another thread:
Someone suggested MG above this post, but someone will probably bring it up on this one, too, so let’s start here with what
@azygous said:

It can also happen due to breeding behaviors
https://thecapecoop.com/foamy-eye-disease-ducks/

What I DO feel pretty confident about is that either it isn’t new, or, you might need to take a look at your water situation.

Those crusties on her cheeks say that
- she’s either had this for a while and you’ve not seen it,
- she doesn’t have consistent access to clean water deep enough at the minimum that she can dunk her whole head, or,
- there may be something else going on.

At any rate, if it IS MG, everyone already has it.
No reason to keep her in the quarantine pen IMO
Okay I’ll get her deeper water and clean it more often, and as you said I’ll put her back in with the others

They are not easy to get off- I recently rescued some ducks that were in rough shape and silly me thought a warm wet washcloth soak would loosen it...
It helps some, but should eventually clear up on its own (without you accidentally pulling feathers out trying to get it off).

I know a lot of people like duck cups or like a multi gallon waterer... which can work if they also have a pool that is cleaned often. A kiddie pool works fine.

My “pool backup” is a 5gal round bucket with ovals cut in the sides; about 4-5” high, 2.5” wide, and about 4” tall. With a lid.

They can get their head in, clean their nares, can’t poop in it, and have a pool when not in their coop

I clean the pool at least every other day, I try for daily but it doesn’t always happen.... and the bucket is cleaned twice a day and stays in their coop. Some people don’t like water in the coop... but I figure it’s about them having what they need; it’s not their fault they are so messy! 😂

They are not easy to get off- I recently rescued some ducks that were in rough shape and silly me thought a warm wet washcloth soak would loosen it...
It helps some, but should eventually clear up on its own (without you accidentally pulling feathers out trying to get it off).

I know a lot of people like duck cups or like a multi gallon waterer... which can work if they also have a pool that is cleaned often. A kiddie pool works fine.

My “pool backup” is a 5gal round bucket with ovals cut in the sides; about 4-5” high, 2.5” wide, and about 4” tall. With a lid.

They can get their head in, clean their nares, can’t poop in it, and have a pool when not in their coop

I clean the pool at least every other day, I try for daily but it doesn’t always happen.... and the bucket is cleaned twice a day and stays in their coop. Some people don’t like water in the coop... but I figure it’s about them having what they need; it’s not their fault they are so messy! 😂
Thanks I just replaced their bowl with a bucket and they’re enjoying it, they say thank you too. I also just cleaned their bedding. Do you think I can put her with a flock because right now she’s with two other quarantined ducks who had bumble foot, one still has it and since she still has weak legs I’m just keeping them all together as I’m pretty sure they’re sisters should I put her out with the flock and keep the other with bumble foot in or keep them all together. I have one healed, the one with weak legs and bubble eyes, and one who still has bubble foot. Should I put the healed one out or keep her with her sisters?

Back
Top Bottom