Chickens sneezing and wheezing and some sounding congested

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
My chickens are sneezing and sound awful. I have been battling this for some time. It seems to have just exploded since the weather has become colder.

I have read once they have this they remain carriers. I have read so many posts here regarding respatory issues and I am so confused about what to do to treat it. I purchased Tylosin Powder from Jedds (the information is below) as I have read that is can be used; however, the information says not to give to laying hens. I have read too it can be given with zero egg withdrawal.

Please help. I am in a rural community and with limited funds (now that I've spent $40.00 for this medication. The people a Jedds quoted the zero withdrawal despite the information on the website. They also suggested adding honey to the water to make it taste better so the chickens will drink more.

I would like to treat them as soon as possible. They sound just awful.

Thank you so much in advance.

Description​

Tylosin Powder is a generic form of Tylan which aids in the treatment and prevention of Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) caused my Mycoplasmosis in pigeons, cage birds, and pet chickens. At 99% Tylosin tartrate, Tylosin Powder is just as effective but at the fraction of the price. Packed in a resealable pouch!

Tylosin Powder Active Ingredient​

Tylosin tartrate - 99%

CRD Treatment Dosage Instructions​

1 teaspoon (5 grams) per 1 gallon of drinking water for 7 consecutive days. Change water daily. A probiotic is recommended and should be administered after the treatment.
Warning: This product is formulated for pet birds only. Do not use on livestock and other animals whose meat or eggs are intended for human consumption. Please keep away from children and other pets.

Tylosin is one of the most common antibiotics for treatment of respiratory disease symptoms, especially MG. It is actually one of a few that are approved for poultry. I would use it, and have. There is no egg withdrawal for oral Tylosin.
Thank you so very much.

Can you please tell me what dosage you recommend? I use the plastic red and white waters with the black top. One is five gallon and the remainder are 3 gallon.

Are there runs/houses dusty? It is not always a medical issue but a simple one like this! Even if it is not dusty I would recommend deep cleaning everything, changing the bedding and making sure they get as much outside time (as long as it's not dusty out!) as they can, and they sell pretty cheap antibiotics you can try as well. If none of that works then you may have a bigger issue.

I just finished the same treatment, I actually mixed 1tbs per gallon of water mixed with 1/2 cup sugar. It's been almost a week since treating and the results have been amazing. Good luck.

Are there runs/houses dusty? It is not always a medical issue but a simple one like this! Even if it is not dusty I would recommend deep cleaning everything, changing the bedding and making sure they get as much outside time (as long as it's not dusty out!) as they can, and they sell pretty cheap antibiotics you can try as well. If none of that works then you may have a bigger issue.
Besides medication, deep cleaning is also on my list for the next however many days it takes me. I have had a rough bout of Covid and then bronchitis and haven't been on top of things as I should have been but that will change now!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom