Advice Please....Decided Against the Omlet and Want to Build a Coop for 50 Chickens

Will chicken manure really break down enough in just one years time? I have about 60 grown chickens and the areas I dump the manure are barren for quite awhile. I would be afraid of the combination of wood mulch wood chips for bedding and chicken manure would just burn anything out.

Hi! I am cancelling my order for two OMLET's and have decided to build a COOP for 50 chickens instead. My reason for having chickens is to collect alot of manure for my garden. I'm a vegan and don't eat eggs or chickens :). So, I'm trying to decide what would be a good Coop plan and would like some help to decide :). They will be FREE RANGE chickens, kept safely (I hope) in the large fenced in area for them, and the Coop will of course be in that area as well. So, what do you all think. I want an EASY TO CLEAN coop...
I agree building a coop will get you a better coop. I recommend a Woods' Open Air coop. These are based on the info in Prince T Woods books. They were printed in the early 1900's so are a little difficult to read but well worth it for the concept and experiences of people who used them. They are being reprinted so can be bought these days. They are also available online (the complete books, with pictures and all) on several websites. This is one https://books.google.com/books/about/Fresh_Air_Poultry_Houses.html?id=MP5EcAAACAAJ

I agree with those who say start smaller, and work your way up if needed. You'd be surprised how much poop chickens can create. Additionally, they can strip an area down to a moonscape in very short order, and by moonscape I am including craters! It will not be the nicely tilled and fertilized field you may be envisioning. Yes, chickens can fly, and if they get into your garden, there will be damage. You should also research the kinds of predators you have in the area, fences, unless electric, won't stop most of them. It can be devastating to lose half or more of your flock in one fell swoop, ( even just one, it will usually be the favorite) For a coop, a converted shed will be good, even for a much smaller flock, walk in coops are definitely more convenient. It sounds like a good plan, and it could work, but I think starting with 50 will be overwhelming for a newbie chick keeper.

What do you all think of this set up? It is a 12X20 - I would be using it for 50 chickens ~
Nice shed, I would put more ventilation in, however. Just opening the windows is not enough, IMO, and you really want the ventilation above the chickens heads, so they don't sit in a draft. Especially in winter, depending on your climate.

Nice shed, I would put more ventilation in, however. Just opening the windows is not enough, IMO, and you really want the ventilation above the chickens heads, so they don't sit in a draft. Especially in winter, depending on your climate.

Agreed.

A LOT more ventilation.

50 square feet for 50 birds.

I have to agree with mowin If your not going to eat eggs or meat it would be far cheaper to buy manure every spring than to feed 50 chickens year round not to mention what are you going to do with maybe 3 dozen eggs a day 365 days a year. Also 50 chickens will go through a lot of food with prices going up fast. 2-3 hundred for some manure will seem like a bargain.

I have to agree with mowin If your not going to eat eggs or meat it would be far cheaper to buy manure every spring than to feed 50 chickens year round not to mention what are you going to do with maybe 3 dozen eggs a day 365 days a year. Also 50 chickens will go through a lot of food with prices going up fast. 2-3 hundred for some manure will seem like a bargain.
of course, OP may actually want to keep chickens, just for the joy of it, the manure may not be the only reason for it.
Though, 50 does sound a lot, if they can afford it, that's their choice

of course, OP may actually want to keep chickens, just for the joy of it, the manure may not be the only reason for it.
Though, 50 does sound a lot, if they can afford it, that's their choice
Your correct, it's there choice, but is it practical? Ultimately, it's there choice, but they asked for advice. I wish them luck in whatever direction they choose to take.

Your correct, it's there choice, but is it practical? Ultimately, it's there choice, but they asked for advice. I wish them luck in whatever direction they choose to take.
advice is always good, and I agree, they may do better with less. But my point is simply that encouraging or suggesting "no chickens" isn't very helpful advice if OP wants them and can find a way to keep them practically. It might not be about just what they can get out of the birds- poultry are fun to keep and can be enjoyable to be around

Back
Top Bottom