Advice please for my poorly Silkie hen

Your seeing lice on her, treat them with a Louse Powder or something with Permethrin. Bugs can weaken a bird. (DE is not going to treat an active infestation)

You don't mention your location, but that would be nice so products can be recommended.

I would feed her her normal feed along with some egg. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day.
What Percentage protein is the grower feed?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Provide grit (crushed granite) free choice so she can process foods.

Can you post a picture of her, and of her most recent poop?

I see you mentioned she has not laid an egg yet- What does her vent look like?

Also, where are you located and what has your weather and temperature been like?

Do you use fertilizers or pesticides on your lawn at all? Rodent or decon poison? Just trying to get a picture of what some of the possibilities might be.

Good luck, I hope she pulls through.

Hi thanks so much for your replies. I'm in Kent so we had snow a few weeks back and for days it's been dry and sunny.

I don't use any pesticides or anything like that in my garden no. Vent is clear and given her a thorough going over underneath which gives me no concern. She is noticeably underweight, she is also a very small 'squat' bantam silkie so always looked small.

I don't know the percentage of the growers feed as I buy in small bags as only have the 3 girls but they have only been back on that the last few weeks as I put them on layers from 5 months as that what breeder said to do. I've had lots of hens in the past and fed layers and corn mix and not had a problem even with hatching I've had from a broody (obviously I had them on chick crumb etc first).

Her crop is emptying but she is failing to feed unkess I move the food (like a slurry) about. She will feed well then but won't even peck at a bowl of corn in front of her. I can feel strength in her legs but it's the balance that she is struggling with. She moves her wings too.

I'm no expert but I feel like it might be a neurological thing 🤷

Hi thanks so much for your replies. I'm in Kent so we had snow a few weeks back and for days it's been dry and sunny.

I don't use any pesticides or anything like that in my garden no. Vent is clear and given her a thorough going over underneath which gives me no concern. She is noticeably underweight, she is also a very small 'squat' bantam silkie so always looked small.

I don't know the percentage of the growers feed as I buy in small bags as only have the 3 girls but they have only been back on that the last few weeks as I put them on layers from 5 months as that what breeder said to do. I've had lots of hens in the past and fed layers and corn mix and not had a problem even with hatching I've had from a broody (obviously I had them on chick crumb etc first).

Her crop is emptying but she is failing to feed unkess I move the food (like a slurry) about. She will feed well then but won't even peck at a bowl of corn in front of her. I can feel strength in her legs but it's the balance that she is struggling with. She moves her wings too.

I'm no expert but I feel like it might be a neurological thing 🤷

Attachments

• 20210224_115009.jpg
    20210224_115009.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210224_114959.jpg
    20210224_114959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210224_114954.jpg
    20210224_114954.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210224_114943.jpg
    20210224_114943.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 4
She produced much bigger normal looking poops yesterday and this morning when she was inside (the fourth pic type) the other 2 are a new type. I've put her out on the lawn in the sun. The other 2 girls aren't interested in her and I'm out gardening keeping an eye as she will flip to the side and get stuck there sometimes. I don't want her to suffer and wondering how much time to give until I despatch her 😕

I'm no expert but I feel like it might be a neurological thing
Whilst I saw a few lice, she was not what I would regard as infested

I would feed her her normal feed along with some egg. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day.
See if it helps to give the feathers around her eyes a bit of trim.
The vitamin therapy suggested is to see if it will help with neurological symptoms. E and B-Complex.

Treat her for the lice too.

All you can do is provide supportive care which includes getting rid of the lice, vitamins, see that she's eating/drinking, make sure her crop is emptying overnight, consider getting a fecal float to rule out worms or coccidiosis overload.

Sometimes a bird can have disease like Marek's which is causing the symptoms or there's a possibility it's genetic. If you lose her, then a necropsy/testing through your agriculture dept will give you more info.

"Helping Silkies See" in the articles section
https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

That is a really good site thank you. Looked at a few bits there, very interesting and informative read. I will get to all of it today. Desperate to see her through.

Permethrin, isn't that the active ingredient in ant powder?

That is a really good site thank you. Looked at a few bits there, very interesting and informative read. I will get to all of it today. Desperate to see her through.

Permethrin, isn't that the active ingredient in ant powder?
Permethrin is in a lot of insect products. You will want to get a powder or spray that is labeled for use in livestock/poultry/birds.

Onto it thanks 👍one more question now I have the recommended supplements. The vitamin e is a capsule (liquid) and the vitamin B complex a normal tablet. Shall I just crush this (a quarter of it) and mix the vit E in her food?

Onto it thanks 👍one more question now I have the recommended supplements. The vitamin e is a capsule (liquid) and the vitamin B complex a normal tablet. Shall I just crush this (a quarter of it) and mix the vit E in her food?
Yes, you can put the vitamins in her food or if she's agreeable, just pop the vitamin pill(s) directly into her beak (one at a time).

Back
Top Bottom