advice please

Pearsandgrapes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Northern Sacramento Valley
I just got my shipment of ducklings from Metzer farms yesterday. 5 are healthy and running about, but my one blue swedish little girl is not. She has a short top beak and her nares are not open. It is a fleshy looking where the holes should be. She *gasps* for air and can not sleep because she has to be breathing out of her mouth all the time. When she does nod off, she startles, and starts gasping again. I am going to be contacting the farm, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if so, what advice you may be able to give me to help her. Poor little gal.
sad.png

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your girl.
sad.png
Contact Metzer and tell them what's going on. She's one they shouldn't have let out the door, since she has what sounds like a pretty obvious (and serious) birth defect. From a naive read of your situation, it doesn't look at all good for her, but you may be able to get Metzer to send you another Blue Swedish from their next hatch.

She may have just a respiratory infection. Perhaps she was getting a draft in the shipping box. I would give her some antibiotics and see if the swelling is going down. Call Metzer, they are really nice and very helpful. I bet the duckling looked fine when they shipped it.

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your girl.
sad.png
Contact Metzer and tell them what's going on. She's one they shouldn't have let out the door, since she has what sounds like a pretty obvious (and serious) birth defect. From a naive read of your situation, it doesn't look at all good for her, but you may be able to get Metzer to send you another Blue Swedish from their next hatch.

Thank you. I called Metzer as soon as I possibly could this morning to report what was going on with my little "Dizzy" girl. They were sorry and told me they would send a replacement next Monday. She slipped away 20 minutes later. Sad, but for the best. I also noticed that she had a split down the middle of her beak too..so yeah, birth defect.

Quote:
They were very helpful. It was nice to experience some good customer relations...seems like that is out of style any more. They are sending a replacement next monday. Thanks for your thoughts.
smile.png

Be prepared to get more then one. They will never just ship one. Sad that the one didn't make it. Metzer is known for quality birds and they truly care. You can send a question to the owner John Metzer anytime, and he will answer. That shows care.

Back
Top Bottom