Advice Please! :)

owly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Hello!
I am a second year 4H poultry exhibitor. I won first-year champion showmanship and champion bantam duck my first year (which was this July). I really feel that it was more out of luck than anything, but now I'm coming for advice.
I want to bring as many birds as I can next year, and I would like your opinion! :) I will upload pictures later.
But, before then, can I have some help on anatomy? I would prefer a hen, and a chicken to be exact. And if anyone knows anything about showmanship, I would love some help. :)
Thank you all so much!

Hello, and thank you for this advice! :) I have been told quite a bit to get the American Standard of Perfection, and I'm already on my way to saving up for it. And I completely understand your judgement of 4H. I feel that where I am, it's a bit more prestigious, but then again, what do I know? They seem to be aware of what they're speaking of. After all, where I exhibit my birds, even though it's a county fair, it's the best poultry show in the state.
But I completely respect your opinion, and I will look into APA and ABA. I do think that I'm going to stay in 4H, though, since it's just something to look forward to. I never joined to win anything, I just like the experience, I guess.
Thank you so much for this!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-charts-and-lots-of-reading-updated-nov-13th
The above is a link to a good bit of anatomical posts, diagrams, and descriptions that can be found here on BYC
Don't give up, there are many who get their start showing in the 4H and FFA programs as youth, I would suggest finding a local breeder to work with as a mentor type project most will be more than willing to help a junior exhibitor who truly shows an interest in learning more about the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom