advice please

mrsryangosling

Hatching
May 6, 2015
So i rescued these goslings stuck in a drain pipe from work. They are rouhly 1 week old. Any advice qould be greatly appreciated. They seem to be doing well and eat like horses!
[/IMG]

So i rescued these goslings stuck in a drain pipe from work. They are rouhly 1 week old. Any advice qould be greatly appreciated. They seem to be doing well and eat like horses!
[/URL]
Bless your heart for rescuing them, they look great, since they look like Canada goslings you might want to contact a rescue or rehab group in your area. It will be quite a while before they can be released back to the wild and being imprinted on you is going to make it extremely hard for them to get acclimated back into taking care of themselves since you have cared and fed them. Was that your intention to release them eventually?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings
Info a week late. lol

Last edited:
[/URL]
If they are wild Canadian Goose goslings you will want to definitely contact your local wildlife authority and inform them that you have rescued them, are caring for them and ask them what are the next steps for you to follow in your state. While it is not illegal to own Canadian Geese in the United States it is "illegal" to possess WILD Canadian Geese. This is all due to a treaty the US has with the UK and Canada related to migratory birds. So, if you do the above, and keep the appropriate authorities informed you will probably avoid any legal problems and they may just ask that you provide for them until they can be released. However, like Miss Lydia indicated, you will have imprinted with them and their release may be difficult and have to involve your wildlife agency.

They are, by the way, beautiful.

I've read Canadians are wonderful as pets, however, wild canadians are illegal to keep. I don't think there's a way to, say, keep wild Canadians you've rescued via applying for a permit for captive wildlife, even from the gosling stage. If you find yourself with goose fever after this encounter, you can, however, legally order and keep captive bred Canadians. :) Just be sure you get paperwork for them in the event a neighbor feels the need to report you.

Back
Top Bottom