Advice regarding Pekin Duck

Susan C

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2019
Hello. I am new to this forum and need some advice. I live on a residential pond in Greenwood, Indiana. One of my neighbors brought home two Pekin ducklings from Rural King that they were getting rid of because they were getting too old to sell. My neighbor said he brought them home to put on the pond "just to see what happened." (Don't play with wildlife!) After doing a lot of reading, I learned that these are domestic ducks and they cannot survive in the wild. I currently have Mallard ducks on the pond and were already feeding them cracked corn because I enjoy having them around. One of the two Pekin ducklings disappeared within 2 days. The remaining one was accepted by the Mallards eventually and they would allow it to hang around with them. The Pekin is fully grown now I believe. The mallards fly in each morning and evening to eat the cracked corn and then fly away. The Pekin cries and cries when they fly away. It is heartbreaking. I understand ducks are very social creatures and shouldn't be alone. He is alone most all day and all night. He can't fly. Should I try to get another one to keep him company? I hate to introduce another domestic duck on the pond, but his being alone is killing me. Also, how do I help him survive the winter? I'm in a residential neighborhood and can't build any sort of structures. I like feeding the ducks, but do not want to be in the business of raising them. And I know he will need water when the pond freezes over. I called a nearby wildlife rehabilitator and was told they would take it if I could bring it to them. I can't get within 20 feet of this duck, so that is not an option. Does anybody have any advice regarding him being lonely and how I help him in the coming winter? Thanks for any advice.

But if the pond freezes he’ll be very vulnerable to predators. Even more so than now. Can you keep feeding this one maybe make an open fenced place close to the water so they have to walk in to eat? Then after a while once they are inside or just this one is you be close enough to close up the one end dog x pen works great for this. It will take a while before you can get it to walk in but if you start at the front and gradually place the food towards the back it may work. I rescued 2 dumped ducks from our mountain river doing this. Took a couple weeks but I got them. Start first by just putting feed on the ground away from the pen then start putting it closer an closer.

There are about 20-30 mallards that fly in to eat. I'm always glad to see them so at least he will have some company for just a little while. I'm afraid if I set up a pen or anything unusual in the feeding area it will spook the mallards and they will quit coming altogether? You're right about the predators. We have fox, coyote and raccoons. This whole situation just makes me sad and sick to my stomach.

I have to content myself about your neighbors statement »just to see what happened.«! :mad:
This little Pekin duck will be in a lot of trouble very soon, i don't think the mallards will stay over winter in Indiana… And a domestic duck is unable to fend for itself, even in the "residential wild". Sadly you're 6 hours away from my location, otherwise i would hop in my car, pick up the little guy and kick your neighbor where it hurts most!
Would you be OK to post a request for re-homing this poor duck into a good home in the
Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing forum?

I guess I need to work up the courage to try a net or cage. The feeding area is in my open yard down by the pond, so there is no where for me to stay out of view.
Just keep trying to get it comfortable with you. Sit and throw it food keep throwing it closer and closer. You will have to build it's trust. Best of luck, wish I was close.

I have to content myself about your neighbors statement »just to see what happened.«! :mad:
This little Pekin duck will be in a lot of trouble very soon, i don't think the mallards will stay over winter in Indiana… And a domestic duck is unable to fend for itself, even in the "residential wild". Sadly you're 6 hours away from my location, otherwise i would hop in my car, pick up the little guy and kick your neighbor where it hurts most!
Would you be OK to post a request for re-homing this poor duck into a good home in the
Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing forum?
I wish you were closer! I would be more than OK to post in the forum you mention. And I'd like to kick my neighbor too! He'll be going off to Florida in a few weeks and leaving me here to worry about this poor little creature while he's off scott free in Florida!

Back
Top Bottom