advice wanted on a broody hen hatching some baby chicks please help

its amazing to see a broody momma do her thing. And hear that constant little low clucking. I have mine separated in the coop so the others can see and hear them and get used to them without there being any danger. Even if you had a large dog crate you could put her in, it will keep the other hens from laying in the nest when she gets up or breaking the eggs and when they are hatched you can keep them locked in for a little while and after they will have a safe place to sleep with mom. This was my first broody and she now has 4 chicks. Its a great experience.

Quote:
if I was to put her in a dog create do you think the other chickens would be ok when I have to put her back in at a later date??
and do you put her in there from day 1 or just at the last few days?
I get my fertile eggs on wednesday

i cant say from much experience, this was my first time but my chickens can see mom and the babies and I read that that may help. I would separate her now so she is not bothered by the others or have her nest invaded. Just make sure she has feed and water and clean out the poop. If you didnt know, she will leave one very large stinky poop a day. THis site was a help to me

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

ps when you move her give her some plastic eggs or rocks, etc to sit on till you get your eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom