Advice when Gr'ma moves in to recover after hospitalization?

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
I'm sure there are others out there who have had a family member stay with them for a bit while they recover. My Gr'ma had an episode with her diabetes, very much like a stroke, and was in the hosp. for about a week.

She's come home to live with us because we have a first floor bedroom (16 yr old son not real thrilled about being booted to the couch to sleep, LOL) and a handicap accessable shower. Plus, DH & I had arraged our schedules for summer break, so that one of us is home during the day with the kids (16, 14 & 10).

I'm helping her with food choices, trying to keep her meals on schedule and making sure meds are correct. She's mostly doing that herself, I'm just sort of double checking. She's been diabetic for 20 years, but not following all the rules. She's been given a chance to control it with food and exercise, and come off the insulin, so we're hoping for success!

Anyway, it's going pretty well. But it's a fine line between taking care of her, and smothering her. So I thought I'd check with others who have been there and see what advice you might have. I keep telling her I want to spoil her, it should be like a hotel and I'm the concierge (sp?), not like jail and I'm the matron
wink.png

So, bring on the good ideas if you have them, I'm all ears (or Eyes, I guess
wink.png
)
~kat

just this... your wonderful for doing this, we all need to care for our families, but keep in mind, there is a fine line between resting & recovering and practicing helplessness.

If the ultimate goal is recovery and self sufficiency again, just keep that goal at the forefront and make sure all along the way your taking steps toward that goal.. baby steps, but still steps none-the-less.

I agree with Dawn....

My Grandmother is insulin dependent. She is very much independent though. I think you are doing the right thing by letting her tend to her own needs, but at the same time you are checking to make sure she is doing it right. Kiddo's to you for taking care of her..... Grandma's are Angels
hugs.gif

A physical therapist told me to not be too quick to jump in and help. Let her do everything she can do by herself. It will be better for her.

Be very careful on the "helping with food choices", I had a diabetic husband and he'd sneak in skittles and junk because I only bought healthy foods. He felt I was trying to control him, and I felt he was in a rush to die, not a good thing for newlyweds.

Can you find ways to help her feel like she's contributing to the house? She might help fold laundry or such. Does she have hobbies you can encourage? Can she teach the kids card games?
I don't know what her ability level is, but feeling like a useful addition to the house does wonders for folks.

Back
Top Bottom