Advice

SouthernChickLady89

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Hey yall! I am new here and just figured I would write my first post. I am a beginner to all the chicken stuff. I am super excited about getting my hens and coop built. Any advice or suggestions you wanna give me? What are your favorite chickens? I am wanting friendly and docile. Not broody. Care advice for them? Etc
THANKS YOU GUYS 🌼🥚

1616944157163.png

Welcome to BYC! We're happy to have you join us.
Advice for the coop, build bigger than you think you'll need and always keep the need for adequate ventilation in mind. You aren't building a coop for warmth. You're building a coop to keep your birds dry and draft free and for protection from predators, big and small.
As for breed recommendations, that depends on what you want with your birds. If you want eggs, heritage breeds or hybrids. Pets, I love bantams. You'll get so many different breed recommendations from folks. I have several favorites that I enjoy for different reasons. I started out with Wyandotte's, Barred Rocks and Buff Orpington. I still LOVE that flock so much even after losing one recently and feel like I made a wonderful choice in breeds to start with.

Back
Top Bottom