Advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickalicia, Feb 22, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have three week old chicks hatched from incubator that have been inside. I have tried to put w mama who has ten chicks out in coop. But they would not leave my side and she seemed Leary of them. Today I tried again and she pecked at them so I think putting them together is not an option. Or is it and they need to get used to one another. I would just hate to come back and see them dead. Also do they still need the heat lamp or will a home with shavings be enough. Help please.

2. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Anyone?.....[​IMG]

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    She is VERY unlikely to accept them. Plan to have them with supplemental heat until they are feathered out, then out in the coop separated from the other birds but in view, and then gradually let them out with the other birds, with plenty of space. Mary

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Your hen sees the chicks you are attempting to introduce as interlopers and a threat to her brood - the window for potential fostering has already passed. You will need to brood them to the point of being of a size that integration into the flock is possible.

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    They're too old at this point to try to give to your hen. She will view them as intruders, a threat to her chicks, and try to kill them. Around 13-16 weeks of age, it should be safe to integrate them with the rest of the flock.

6. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Ok Ty vm for all advice. What I did is put a separator inside my ward where I have her and her chicks. She didn't like it. She poofs up and pecks at them at least tries. I feel bad they keep runnig to me. But I know gotta let em go. They don't have full feathers but got a lot of them
    [​IMG]
    Chicks I just put in
    [​IMG]
    Mama and her ten- she didn't like it

I hope I did right thing--am I able to put to mamas with their chicks in one coop together or will it be same thing-- an intruder

7. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    ive heard of it working, but ive also heard stories of someone coming in the next day to 1-3 of the origional 20 chicks.

8. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Even tho I had put a separated them?

9. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    i thought u meant 2 hens each with their own clutch of chicks in the SAME brood XD

10. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Well no. I seperated those. Then took em back inside Although I was curious if that could be done. Didn't think it could. But. Never know. My broodys growled and pecked at me when they wer sitting. Now I can touch them and pet em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by