Advise needed. Shipping eggs issue.

brkuk

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Howell, Mi
Hello,
I have been shipping hatching eggs for 3 years now. As everyone knows, shipping hatching eggs is a gamble. I shipped eggs to a person ( not from a sale on BYC) and this person told me that they had a 0% hatch. I did send extras also. They emailed me and asked if I could send out more eggs. I said sure I'll send out 6 more for the cost of shipping. That wasn't good enough, they wanted a full dozen. Long story short, the funds are on hold now from paypal.

I am wondering how other sellers handle "bad hatches"??? How many do you send after a bad hatch?? What do you charge??? This is my first situation with a so called 0% hatch. I have shipped out eggs every week for 3 years and this is my first. Any advise or input would help. Take care. Bryan

Hi! I've had a couple of zero hatches from eggs I bought, and a few extremely low hatches. I realize that it's not the breeders fault. Once, I only got 2 chicks to hatch out of a dozen eggs, and the seller was kind enough to send me another dozen for the shipping cost only. (I didn't ask her to do that. I just sent her a message and told her how much I loved the two chicks that I did get.)

Now, you are NOT obligated to do that. I think your offer was quite nice to send out a half dozen for the cost of shipping. If you had an extra dozen that would just go to waste, I would ship them, but if not, and she doesn't appreciate your offer of a half dozen, then I would just return her money through paypal.

I have also sold eggs to a woman. Anyhow, her incubator cooked them. I had extras, so I sent her more for just shipping. I believe I only had seven extras to send to her. But I just like to do that if I can. I'm not always able though.

what is your policy on your site, or in you auction listing? If you say no guarantees, then there are no guarantees. If you don't address it, you should probably send her eggs and just chalk it up to learning. I have found that putting in my auctions that they have to mail back to me the unhatched eggs, and pay shipping for the new ones to collect on unhatched eggs, really cuts down bogus claims. I don't always force them to return the eggs after they don't hatch, but I put it in my conditions of sale so I can use that to defend myself with.

Quote:
Thank you both for the input. I like that you request the unhatched eggs shipped back. I think I might do that. It seems like there is always a buyer that brings you down to rethink everything you have done so far. I need to protect myself a little better. I have never had a problem here on BYC. It is always another auction site that brings out the trouble. I need to be done over there. Take care. Bryan

I just finished my first hatch. Had 10 BCM...none of them hatched, alot were rotten and a few exploded. Also had 24 Araucana eggs...only 4 of those hatched and lost 2 of those to pasty butt. In a million years I would never expect the seller to send more eggs, since they already had and how can they be responsible for what happens when they leave their hands. God only knows what the USPS does to them! I think that there are alot of people out there who always want more and take advantage of good natured people. Takers are attracted to givers!
tongue.png

Quote:
Takers are attracted to givers. Amen. I do have some BCM eggs you can try if you want. I lost my favorite greenfire rooster and three hens last weekend to a coon. I am a giver. Let me know.

Last edited:
I am new to the hatching thing, and have been ordering hatching eggs from folks here and on EBAY. My success rate has varied greatly, but hovers around 30% (under broody hens even). I have really been enjoying (and fascinated) by the whole process of watching these eggs grow, and although disappointed when I receive non-fertile eggs or eggs that die early on, would never blame the seller. I have had the opportunity to acquire some unusual breeds that I would not be able to find otherwise. It is just amazing to me that fertile eggs can be shipped and have ANY rate of success. Crazy!

I guess I would be a little disappointed to receive non-fertile eggs, if they were sold as hatching eggs. But wouldn't it be hard to know that unless you sacrificed a few to check? If they were too damaged in transit, candling wouldn't tell you much, would it? (I've never ordered hatching eggs thru the mail, but was thinking about trying that next year... want some Barnvelders and have reliably broody hens)

If you have your listing clearly labeled as no refunds for bad hatches, then I'd expect PayPal to honor you and return the money. My husband sells pdf versions of building codes on e-bay, and occasionally he will get a buyer who expected a physical copy on paper... the few which have tried to challenge him, have lost and PayPal has given the money back. It is a pain, but a rare event.

As a buyer of shipping eggs, I'd say you were very generous in your offer. You have no idea how they tried to incubate them, how long their power was off, how many times their toddler knocked the bator over... and if they were an experienced hatcher, methinks, they wouldn't make such high demands!

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost birds to a predator raccoon. That had to have been a tough day. I'm also sorry to hear about the grief you're getting from the sorry sports that gambled on shipped eggs. If it was critical that they have a successful hatch, they should have ordered live chicks. Life's a gamble. Don't let them wear you down. Have a good weekend.

Back
Top Bottom