Advise on taking in a rooster

DrBlood

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
Hi all. So most know I have Xander my roo and 3 hens. I'm at a party and they have a large leghorn rooster that had been separated and kept in small cage because others are beating him up. People here think he will need to get killed because he will get to big and won't be able to walk . Is that a thing ? My instinct is to say I will take him home and take care of him because I can't handle the idea of him being in a small cage and the killed. Please advise ??? I'm the person that will rescue anything suffering. Someone said that to let him live longer would be suffering ; because he is huge.

I don’t think leghorns are like broiler chickens where their legs can break under their weight.
Do you have an extra coop? He won’t be able to join your flock because your ladies will be overly breed.

Also, if you do take him in, keep him separate and far away (other side of the property) from you coop. You need to make sure he isn’t sick and has something that could kill your flock. Some people do this for one-two months.
He could be being picked on because there is another rooster or he is sick.

I don’t think leghorns are like broiler chickens where their legs can break under their weight.
Do you have an extra coop? He won’t be able to join your flock because your ladies will be overly breed.
I just build a 2nd hutch for my girls because they dont want to go in with my roo at night that last 2 night. So I have non issue and have the room I will make him a new coop and give him his own yard time. I'm just afraid because they say he will need to be put down and I could never do that . Ok dumb question are all fully white roosters leghorns ? Or what is a broiler chicken?;

I just build a 2nd hutch for my girls because they dont want to go in with my roo at night that last 2 night. So I have non issue and have the room I will make him a new coop and give him his own yard time. I'm just afraid because they say he will need to be put down and I could never do that . Ok dumb question are all fully white roosters leghorns ? Or what is a broiler chicken?;
Go take some pictures of him real quick?

No. There’s like 11(plus?) different breeds of chickens that can be all white...

broiler chicken is a meat chicken (intended to be butchered early on)

I believe a broiler chicken is a cross with a white rock and a Cornish or at least that is what they seem to be in Wisconsin. I believe butchering must be done at 6 weeks old, anything over that is just suffering (the leg thing mentioned earlier).

If he is huge - he is not a leghorn, he is more than likely a cornish cross bird, and does need to be processed to prevent future suffering. If I were you, I would walk away from this heartache. You can't save everything, and this is going to be a prolonged miserable suffering for both of you, if he does not get a quick merciful end.

Some people do try and 'save' these birds, but it is like scooping water with a strainer, the strainer gets wet, but it does not work well for the job.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom