Advise Please, Chicken in shock?!

I agree, I would check her for an egg.
After you get that sorted out, can you provide some photos of your hen, her poop and her eye too? You mention the eye is a little gunky. I would try using sterile saline to flush out the eye to see if that helps.

I'm sorry she's not doing to well.

CA3E5E05-3D17-4B5A-8855-C355EEA774BA.jpeg
6736F4EC-5B3F-4D0D-89A5-DC36F061143C.jpeg

Hey all,
Just an update:-
She was egg bound. After a bath in epsom salt water late last night this afternoon she laid a HUGE egg.

She has been to the vets today and they have given her an antibiotic shot and some pain relief medicine which I have just fed to her in her food.

Generally we keep seeing flashes of life, she will open her eyes, look alert and even groom herself but then wants to stand still and just close her eyes. Has anybody else experienced that?

She is also still really steady on her feet. Below are 2 photos, she’s the hen at the front grooming and then in the second photo it’s how she stands 80% of the rest of the time (straight legged and still)

We appreciate your help

View attachment 1824809 View attachment 1824811

Hey all,
Just an update:-
She was egg bound. After a bath in epsom salt water late last night this afternoon she laid a HUGE egg.

She has been to the vets today and they have given her an antibiotic shot and some pain relief medicine which I have just fed to her in her food.

Generally we keep seeing flashes of life, she will open her eyes, look alert and even groom herself but then wants to stand still and just close her eyes. Has anybody else experienced that?

She is also still really steady on her feet. Below are 2 photos, she’s the hen at the front grooming and then in the second photo it’s how she stands 80% of the rest of the time (straight legged and still)

We appreciate your help
I'm glad she was able to pass the egg.
I would feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Her stance to me is she is not feeling well. I've had hens that looked like that when they had reproductive problems accompanied with crop symptoms. Sometimes they may have Periotonitis, cancer, tumors or similar. Hopefully if this was her first bout then she will start feeling better with the antibiotics. I usually make sure they are drinking well.
Keep us posted.

I'm glad she was able to pass the egg.
I would feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Her stance to me is she is not feeling well. I've had hens that looked like that when they had reproductive problems accompanied with crop symptoms. Sometimes they may have Periotonitis, cancer, tumors or similar. Hopefully if this was her first bout then she will start feeling better with the antibiotics. I usually make sure they are drinking well.
Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on checking her crop shortly...

Its strange, we keep seeing flashes of life from her and then she goes back to being very quiet and still.

I'm now emotionally involved and can hardly stand the suspense.:fl I'm rooting for your girl, hope she comes through! Meanwhile I gotta go find my bunny slippers and a cocktail.

Back
Top Bottom