Advise Please! Hatched Chicks KNOCKING Other Eggs in Bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Morning_Song, Sep 6, 2013.

1. millielynn

millielynn In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]Here is another pick. This so egg-citing and stressful. It's like having a lot of grand chicks. Hehe

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. rachmickmurphy

rachmickmurphy Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    X breds have a much better hatch rate than pure breeds. If want long term health and vigorous hatching chicks xbreeding or outcrossing is way to go. My mate puts his Sussex roo over his rir hens the offspring is a huge dark red bird with a black necklace that lays heaps of eggs. I had some eggs of these in a banty size go in bator yesterday. Only 4 tho. I love rock chicks they look like they got tuxedo on lol

3. rachmickmurphy

rachmickmurphy Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    so cute congrads they just adorable.

4. millielynn

Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    I kinda wanted some pure breeds but these were all given to me and I am thankful. I have enjoyed them so much. Looking forward watching these chicks grow up. Hopefully not too many Roos though. ;)

5. rachmickmurphy

rachmickmurphy Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    I kinda wanted some pure breeds but these were all given to me and I am thankful. I have enjoyed them so much. Looking forward watching these chicks grow up. Hopefully not too many Roos though. quote] yes excess roos can be a problem pure or xbred I wish there was a reliable way to know before setting the egg. I read something bout dowsing eggs tried it once then hatch day came they all hatched but who was who lol. Looked into injecting food dye at day 18 to tell the difference but it seemed too cruel i give up there. And anyway the colour wouldnt show up on dark chicks. I have a chick that hatched couple of days ago its got a leg problem i have tried the brace on other chicks never worked they just get depressed and give up so hoping this just rights itself dont get very many with problems never had facial deforms or even crossed beak.

6. millielynn

Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    I have read about so many ways but none of them seem to really work. I have tried to sex them by their wing feathers but I am new to this and afraid of hurting them when they wiggle so much. I am pretty certain that the pretty one with black stripes is a roo the others I am not sure about. I have 14 chicks out of 27 eggs, 4 (not 5 as I stated yesterday) died after pipping but none of the other eggs are even pipping. How long should I wait before I candle them to see if they are ok?

7. rachmickmurphy

rachmickmurphy Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    maybe a quick check of the remaining eggs at day 22 some of our eggs are dark you just get no visual idea when candling they just have to stay in til day 26 then they are opened outside near the compost. its not often that I candle in the first 12days I am not sure about dropping eggs in water i listen with a stethoscope you can clearly hear if there is life. I am following a thread on this forum "new ways to grow and hatch a duck" interesting stuff he cracks the egg into a bag in incubates it with out a shell. He posts progress reports with utube links. My hubby want me to ask what possessed him to even try. Lol I think its amazing and it proves how amazing the egg really is.

8. millielynn

Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    I saw that. Looks very interesting. I agree, what on earth would make him consider trying it.

9. rachmickmurphy

rachmickmurphy Chirping

Sep 3, 2013
    Boys will be boys lol

10. millielynn

Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    Hehe yep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: