Ae my windows safe?

Amira

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Upstate New York
We are working on our coop and I have a question about windows and predators. I have been reading the forum so based on that I wanted windows that hinged at the top and then use hardware cloth under those. My husband who is building the coop bought regular windows with screens. We our planning on making an enclosed run and the coop would be entirely surrounded by that except for the nesting boxes. The windows are placed so they are inside the fenced area. Do I need to add hardware cloth to the windows somehow since predators could rip a regular screen? Husband says no since the run itself will be secure. We back to woods and have seen coons, coyotes, and other critters in our yard.

We are working on our coop and I have a question about windows and predators. I have been reading the forum so based on that I wanted windows that hinged at the top and then use hardware cloth under those. My husband who is building the coop bought regular windows with screens. We our planning on making an enclosed run and the coop would be entirely surrounded by that except for the nesting boxes. The windows are placed so they are inside the fenced area. Do I need to add hardware cloth to the windows somehow since predators could rip a regular screen? Husband says no since the run itself will be secure. We back to woods and have seen coons, coyotes, and other critters in our yard.

What is the run going to be constructed of? That will play into whether you are likely to need an extra "layer" of protection between your birds and potential predators on the windows.

Can you replace the screen fabric with 1/4 inch fence fabric. Securely fastened to the screen frame and the frame itself securely fastened to the coop? Cost would be minimal and you would have the added level of security when the windows were left open.

Predators are clever and patient. If there is any way, and I mean any, that they can breach your security they will eventually and then it is too late.

I am not sure what we are going to use for the run. I am still doing research on that. We want to be able to walk around in it, have it totally enclosed, and be safe from predators. I am open to ideas on that as well as the windows!

I have a standard vinyl sliding window with bug screen in my coop. I consider that fairly secure when the window is latched shut. Not at all secure when the window is open as it is almost all of the time for ventilation. The bug screen could be easily penetrated. The window sits in a 2-by-4 lumber frame, flush to the outside of the frame. On the inside of the frame I attached a sheet of 1/2" hardware cloth. Then for good measure I overlayed a sheet of 1x2 welded wire, very strong stuff. Lots and lots of screws and poultry staples holding it securely. If any creature wants entry into this coop, the window is the last place to try. It would be easier to bust through the siding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom