Af. Greys , question on there sex....

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
I have af. greys that I bought like 3yrs ago, from a breeder. The woman's husband had passed away and she didnt want any part of raisining and breeding parrots. When I went t her home, it was set up very nice, very very nice, you would go out into a screened patio that 2 parrots in seperated cages, and she stated that her daughter wanted those, we went out that back patio into a beautiful yard, down a trail to 2 different small one room but very nice structured one room homes for 2-3 large cages for birds.

My Greys were the only one's left in that room, and empty cages....She stated they were "a breeding pair", but thats all she knew about them. Her husband passed away all of a sudden and she didnt want any part of breeding birds, it was his hobby.

Well Ive had them 3yrs...and Im starting to wonder that maybe they are both the same sex.....??? How would I know other than testing them? I know the one we call Noelani, she picks on Pakei and he is bald on his head...she picks on him...then he grows it back out and then again she picks. They have there time where they sit together and groom each other or he will go up and feed her..?? he puts food in her mouth...so maybe I have a pair...

Can anyone help me here?

Timeh Greys

Unless a fertile egg is laid...no way to know with DNA testing...

Even same sex birds who are bonded treat eachother like that. Regurgitation is a sign of affection, and my parrot has done it for me. Grooming is definitely an activity same sex parrots engage in together, same with sitting together.

I'd be concerned with the picking. Are they getting enough enrichment? Do you provide them with a variety of toys and rotate them often? Bored or stressed birds will pick their feathers or their cage mate's feathers.

DNA testing is the only true way to tell if they are male or female. You can also look at the the tail feathers and the females will be edged in a light grey to a white color kinda like lacing in chickens. this will only be the underneath. and the Males will have solid red feathers. this is not as accurate as DNA but it has always worked on my african greys.. I always sex them this way and then DNA test them and it has never proved me wrong. Also males will be more vocal then females usually.

Sexing parrots using DNA is not that expensive. I'm assuming/hoping you brought them to a vet for a new-bird physical. Adding on a DNA test for sexing is like $30 additional (give or take). You can hear a lot of hints and clues, but think of it this way -- if they were paired up together, it is likely that either the previous owner thought or knew they were a male and female. So, if the old owner didn't DNA test them, he went by the same hints and clues you're seeking. If he was wrong, you'll be wrong. Why don't you see if you can track down a vet who took care of the birds before you had them, and see if they have their genders on file? Look at the leg band ID's and reference them when you get through to the vet. Good luck.

:)

~Christopher

How old are they? Back in the day, when we used to breed parrots, we had them surgically sexed and the vets would always put a tattoo in the wing web of the females, you might want to check. Another way is to feel the pinbones of the pelvis, if they are right up against each other male if you can put your finger between them, female, but the only way to be sure is dna.

oh gosh, I would say they are about 5-6yrs old....I know about DNA testing we did our blue/gold Eragon like that...but I hadnt done it on them. When we did Eragon we were in the Avian bird store, a huge beauitful store,looks like a jungle...and had her nails dones and wings. But we never have taken the Greys in, they keep there nails pretty trimmed on there own.

So the female will have Barring under the tail area, do you mean the barring will be on the actual vent part area, or the feathers tht stick out of there body? I need to go check now and see if I can tell....

wow!!!! had to sit up close and grab glasses!!!! lol....so hard to tell from just looking at my greys standing at the cage door and tipping my head. Im going to have to actually get my hands on my babies and check them out...I was thinking its like the tiels that you can tell from just squating down and looking at them....

I need to really have them DNA tested but Ive been out on medical and not working now 2yrs.....maybe I can do one at a time....

thanks for the web site with the pictures, thats up close and all...very good.

I had one of my greys for 5 years until I had her sexed. Which I have always new she was a girl from the time she was a baby. Guess mothers insticts. bahahaa.. and well of course her tail and just average signs of being a girl.

Back
Top Bottom