Affectionate Chicken Normal Behavior?

Miks

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
So I now have a little more than a year under my belt raising chickens. My first year I purchase BSLs and one had one with pasty butt. I spent a great deal of time daily cleaning her vent. The other birds seemed to realize something was wrong with her. As an adult hen that lays beautiful eggs, she has an unusual relationship with me. She actually prefers me to the other hens. She is in the middle of the pecking order. Her affection is quite noticeable. If she sees me or hears my voice I become number one in her life immediately. She will even leave treats to be with me.

I thought she was unusual but we brought 3 new chicks into our home in the spring. This occurred again with just one of the new three. As the alpha matured, she would launch herself onto my arm and always get as close as she possibly could. She preferred me to the other hens.

Is this unusual behavior? Did I over domesticate them when they were chicks? I spent a lot of time with both groups but others seem stunned by their unusual behavior and affection when I am around.

Important to note, I was never able to successfully merge both groups of hens. I ended up building a whole new wing to keep them separated. Needless to say, both affectionate girls do not care for each other and are not happy when the other one gets attention.

What did I do wrong?

:love I would but I’m not allowed to have a Roo!

Just go buy some pullets, it’s only a matter of time...
DF28C475-7C2F-4531-8AB0-36427AC159FC.jpeg

my “pullet,” Henry VIII III

I had a chick that I raised from a egg who would actively get out of her cage to be with me. She would leave all of her friends walk over to me and fly up on my shoulder. We would literally go on walks with each other and she would walk behind me and whoever a dog would walk by she would fly up onto my shoulder for safety. She was the sweetest little chicken I have ever had.

Back
Top Bottom