Afraid I made a mistake with a PP Defender coop/run...?

Also my coop is a newer model, I think, because mine also has an area above the nesting boxes. I'll try to go outside tomorrow and get a pic or video. I'm going to be putting the girls in there probably next week, so maybe I'll take a video with them in there so you guys can see how they fit.
I have the newer model as well and just finished putting together. I’m curious what, if any modifications you’ve done and what kind of bedding you plan to use in the coop. I’ve heard issues of rain getting in. I’m worried about bedding because it doesn’t seem like a very deep area.

No and they don't sell it any more! But I was just going to get a tarp and some bungees to throw over it. Plus they were charging like $80 for the cover.
frankly, See if you can find a handyman to enclose the run for you and add one to the structure.
A few panels of metal roofing ought to do the trick.
Then you have a good size starter coop.
As you take DIY classes at LOWE'S and Home Depot. 😉
Chickens are forgiving when it comes to projects. As long as the hardware cloth is secured and latches Raccoon proof they don't care how it looks!

Chickens are forgiving when it comes to projects. As long as the hardware cloth is secured and latches Raccoon proof they don't care how it looks!
FYI, the one thing chickens are NOT forgiving about at all, is if your projects CHANGE their environment (in their sole opinion of course). I added a "patch" of hardware cloth to better protect the birds who roosted on the tops of the pallets instead of on their roosts. The result? They boycotted that whole area. It caused a big upheaval because apparently the hardware cloth rendered their precious "roost" unusable. Naturally the older hens took it out quite viciously on the young pullets, who had no choice but to reverse their integration and retreat to their baby quarters....

FYI, the one thing chickens are NOT forgiving about at all, is if your projects CHANGE their environment (in their sole opinion of course). I added a "patch" of hardware cloth to better protect the birds who roosted on the tops of the pallets instead of on their roosts. The result? They boycotted that whole area. It caused a big upheaval because apparently the hardware cloth rendered their precious "roost" unusable. Naturally the older hens took it out quite viciously on the young pullets, who had no choice but to reverse their integration and retreat to their baby quarters....
bird brains
I was thinking about the looks of the project though. :)

frankly, See if you can find a handyman to enclose the run for you and add one to the structure.
A few panels of metal roofing ought to do the trick.
Then you have a good size starter coop.
As you take DIY classes at LOWE'S and Home Depot. 😉
I'm a bit confused about this response. The cover is just a tarp that's made to perfectly fit the roof of the run. The run is completely enclosed, including a "roof" made of the fencing material. Not sure what you mean by enclose the run... I guess make another coop? Sounds like it'd be better to add on to the existing coop versus trying to enclose the run, as the run is just a fence and I live in PA where it's hot in summer, wet in fall and spring and cold and snowy in winter. Sorry, I just don't understand the suggestions 😳

My question to those who asked about the cover. Is it absolutely necessary? It can get wet here (we live right by the Mon river) and without sun hitting that area directly, it's not going to dry out. And it will get wet, cover or no cover.

BTW, the girls spent their first day and night yesterday in the coop/run. Happy as clams. They're still not sure how to use the ramp to get back in the coop, so we have to wrangle them in at night. It's supposed to go back into the 70s later this week, so if they still don't get coop = home, I will keep them in there for a couple of days when's it's cooler, as I've read this is how to teach them to go back to the coop, thoughts?

I'm a bit confused about this response. The cover is just a tarp that's made to perfectly fit the roof of the run. The run is completely enclosed, including a "roof" made of the fencing material. Not sure what you mean by enclose the run... I guess make another coop? Sounds like it'd be better to add on to the existing coop versus trying to enclose the run, as the run is just a fence and I live in PA where it's hot in summer, wet in fall and spring and cold and snowy in winter. Sorry, I just don't understand the suggestions 😳

My question to those who asked about the cover. Is it absolutely necessary? It can get wet here (we live right by the Mon river) and without sun hitting that area directly, it's not going to dry out. And it will get wet, cover or no cover.

BTW, the girls spent their first day and night yesterday in the coop/run. Happy as clams. They're still not sure how to use the ramp to get back in the coop, so we have to wrangle them in at night. It's supposed to go back into the 70s later this week, so if they still don't get coop = home, I will keep them in there for a couple of days when's it's cooler, as I've read this is how to teach them to go back to the coop, thoughts?
I have the same coop/run. Just moved our girls the two days ago, today was their first full day. Right now staying just in the coop so they get comfortable with it and I finish covering the run and then will open it up to them.

I have the same coop/run. Just moved our girls the two days ago, today was their first full day. Right now staying just in the coop so they get comfortable with it and I finish covering the run and then will open it up to them.
And it was fun to build, huh? We did it in 95 degree heat with barely any breakfast. Not a winning combo. We literally ran out of gas on the last roof panel. Had to stop. Finished it yesterday, much less hot and we were easily able to adjust the one misaligned roof panel and get it all finished up. Felt great to have it DONE and move them out! I also watched them catch their first bug and play chicken football with it!

ht. It's supposed to go back into the 70s later this week, so if they still don't get coop = home, I will keep them in there for a couple of days when's it's cooler, as I've read this is how to teach them to go back to the coop, thoughts?
This is a good idea. Since the whole structure can confine them (there's a cover on the run so they can't fly out), you could let them have the coop and run, but sometimes young chicks just don't want/need all that space, so they'll be fine just getting used to the coop portion.

Back
Top Bottom