Afraid I made a mistake with a PP Defender coop/run...?

My question to those who asked about the cover. Is it absolutely necessary?
Necessary? Nope. It's mainly to provide some climate protection and maybe a bit of predator protection but a lot of people have uncovered or unroofed runs.

Snow would probably be a concern (if the run is snowed in, the chickens aren't likely to want to use it) however snow build up on a tarp or even on wire (depending on type/amount of snow that can be an issue) can be equally problematic.
BTW, the girls spent their first day and night yesterday in the coop/run. Happy as clams. They're still not sure how to use the ramp to get back in the coop, so we have to wrangle them in at night. It's supposed to go back into the 70s later this week, so if they still don't get coop = home, I will keep them in there for a couple of days when's it's cooler, as I've read this is how to teach them to go back to the coop, thoughts?
That can help teach them the coop is home, but they'll still need to be trained to use the ramp as that's not a natural thing for them. If the ramp is steep (greater than... 35-40 degree angle or so) propping up the floor end on a cinder block or something similar to reduce the angle will help.

Not sure what you mean by enclose the run... I guess make another coop?
Yes, I think that is what the poster meant.

Sounds like it'd be better to add on to the existing coop versus trying to enclose the run, as the run is just a fence and I live in PA where it's hot in summer, wet in fall and spring and cold and snowy in winter. Sorry, I just don't understand the suggestions
Personally, I would have a roof (cover to keep out rain and sun) on the run, but leave the sides with just wire mesh in most seasons. If there are heavy winds in the cold part of the year, I would put up some tarps to block the wind on a few sides, so the chickens can continue to use that space all winter.

Snow in the winter can be a problem, because it can build up on top and get heavy. I don't know whether the metal frame of the run will support your typical snow load or not. Sweeping it off with a broom each time snow falls is one way to keep it from getting too deep and heavy, although a single night of really heavy snow may be able to cause trouble before you get out to clear it.

In winter, chickens certainly need enough space that is protected from the weather (snow & wind). Many people feel that solid walls are needed. I've had chickens in northern Virginia, and used tarps all winter with good results. If you do that, it is important to secure the tarps well enough that they do not flap around, because a flapping tarp will soon be a ripped tarp, and it gets worse very quickly. Cheap tarps seem to last one winter (getting very worn toward spring, but by then the weather is getting warmer), but I've had some better quality tarps that were good for several years.

Necessary? Nope. It's mainly to provide some climate protection and maybe a bit of predator protection but a lot of people have uncovered or unroofed runs.

Snow would probably be a concern (if the run is snowed in, the chickens aren't likely to want to use it) however snow build up on a tarp or even on wire (depending on type/amount of snow that can be an issue) can be equally problematic.

That can help teach them the coop is home, but they'll still need to be trained to use the ramp as that's not a natural thing for them. If the ramp is steep (greater than... 35-40 degree angle or so) propping up the floor end on a cinder block or something similar to reduce the angle will help.
This was so incredibly helpful, thank you! Snow will definitely be an issue on top of the run. We get really wet, heavy snow at times and the roof of the run isn't pitched at enough of an angle to fall off before it gets too heavy.

I put a cinder block under the ramp this morning. I will see what they do this evening. If they don't make it in by dark (or start going to huddle under the coop). I will pick them up and put them on the ramp instead of in the coop to see if I can get them to use it.

This was so incredibly helpful, thank you! Snow will definitely be an issue on top of the run. We get really wet, heavy snow at times and the roof of the run isn't pitched at enough of an angle to fall off before it gets too heavy.

I put a cinder block under the ramp this morning. I will see what they do this evening. If they don't make it in by dark (or start going to huddle under the coop). I will pick them up and put them on the ramp instead of in the coop to see if I can get them to use it.
Good news! The girls went inside at sunset all by themselves tonight. We came out to wrangle them and they were already in the coop, all huddled up together (it's still like 77 degrees, but it will go down in the low 50s). Thanks so much for the elevating the ramp tip!

I have the newer model as well and just finished putting together. I’m curious what, if any modifications you’ve done and what kind of bedding you plan to use in the coop. I’ve heard issues of rain getting in. I’m worried about bedding because it doesn’t seem like a very deep area.
I was able to put a good 4 inches of fine pine shavings in there (top and bottom, about a little over half a bale from tractor supply). I used cardboard cut to size and shoved in the gap at the bottom to block off the nesting boxes til they are ready to use them (I have read this is a good idea so they don't get used to sleeping/pooping in them). It's been in there for a few days, they've already tossed it around and it's been packed down enough that I added more this morning (just few large handfuls).

This morning, I scooped out the wet stuff from where their watered was (I didn't want to leave them without water) maybe two small handfuls.

Nothing smells at all in there, albeit, they are not in there except for at night. It's rained once and hubby found a tiny bit of water, but time will tell on that one. He's going to reinforce the roof seem with flashing tape. I have a feeling we may have to do something around the doors where there are gaps. We built the coop next to our 30x40 metal pole barn, so I am hoping it blocks most of the wind and blown rain.

I'm a bit confused about this response. The cover is just a tarp that's made to perfectly fit the roof of the run. The run is completely enclosed, including a "roof" made of the fencing material. Not sure what you mean by enclose the run... I guess make another coop? Sounds like it'd be better to add on to the existing coop versus trying to enclose the run, as the run is just a fence and I live in PA where it's hot in summer, wet in fall and spring and cold and snowy in winter. Sorry, I just don't understand the suggestions 😳

My question to those who asked about the cover. Is it absolutely necessary? It can get wet here (we live right by the Mon river) and without sun hitting that area directly, it's not going to dry out. And it will get wet, cover or no cover.

BTW, the girls spent their first day and night yesterday in the coop/run. Happy as clams. They're still not sure how to use the ramp to get back in the coop, so we have to wrangle them in at night. It's supposed to go back into the 70s later this week, so if they still don't get coop = home, I will keep them in there for a couple of days when's it's cooler, as I've read this is how to teach them to go back to the coop, thoughts?
Yes, I was talking about turning the run into the coop. You'd definitely have enough room then and hopefully enough ventilation!

I was able to put a good 4 inches of fine pine shavings in there (top and bottom, about a little over half a bale from tractor supply). I used cardboard cut to size and shoved in the gap at the bottom to block off the nesting boxes til they are ready to use them (I have read this is a good idea so they don't get used to sleeping/pooping in them). It's been in there for a few days, they've already tossed it around and it's been packed down enough that I added more this morning (just few large handfuls).

This morning, I scooped out the wet stuff from where their watered was (I didn't want to leave them without water) maybe two small handfuls.

Nothing smells at all in there, albeit, they are not in there except for at night. It's rained once and hubby found a tiny bit of water, but time will tell on that one. He's going to reinforce the roof seem with flashing tape. I have a feeling we may have to do something around the doors where there are gaps. We built the coop next to our 30x40 metal pole barn, so I am hoping it blocks most of the wind and blown rain.
I like that too! I switched to flake instead of fine to try it out in hopes of a little less dust(our garage has dust CAKED everywhere from the brooder). We put cardboard just as you did, I also cut a piece of old trim and plugged the hole underneath the coop door to help reduce amount of bedding waste. I did buy the TSC roof for the run and will be placing that soon. I’m thinking of also cutting some holes on the front side and covering with hardware cloth for more ventilation. I made a forum about this coop as well if you want to check it out for other suggestions people made. “TSC producers pride defender 2020 version” here’s some pics of my coop and where I have it so far.

Attachments

• A71C2527-599E-45E0-AEEB-44BA5BE06B41.jpeg
    A71C2527-599E-45E0-AEEB-44BA5BE06B41.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 1659E674-1A5C-4927-A51C-B0EDB551DD79.png
    1659E674-1A5C-4927-A51C-B0EDB551DD79.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
I like that too! I switched to flake instead of fine to try it out in hopes of a little less dust(our garage has dust CAKED everywhere from the brooder). We put cardboard just as you did, I also cut a piece of old trim and plugged the hole underneath the coop door to help reduce amount of bedding waste. I did buy the TSC roof for the run and will be placing that soon. I’m thinking of also cutting some holes on the front side and covering with hardware cloth for more ventilation. I made a forum about this coop as well if you want to check it out for other suggestions people made. “TSC producers pride defender 2020 version” here’s some pics of my coop and where I have it so far.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about adding more ventilation to the front. Will definitely check out that thread, thanks!!

I switched to flake instead of fine to try it out in hopes of a little less dust

Our was too! Even with the flake. I have read that the fine shavings are better at breaking down for deep litter, only reason I went with fine vs. flake. Not sure if it even matters. I am probably going to start throwing some grass clipping in there too. I hear vegetation can help speed up the composting process.

Back
Top Bottom