Afraid to leave the coop

mamasnowwolf

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
Hi all,
We have 2 Rhode Island Red hens that we removed from what we call the red coop to prepare them for show. They were placed in their own palace. Cages in the basement at night, and a private outside run during the day. After fair, we placed them into what we call the white coop well after the other birds went to sleep. The total time away was about 2.5 months. When we went out there in the morning, the birds were sort of getting along. The usual pecking order scuffle. They didn't appear to like the cock, but it was a new place. I figured give it time.
The two tried to escape the pen when I left, but otherwise seemed happy. They always went into the coop at night and were seen in the yard for about a week. Then they stopped leaving the coop. They appear healthy. I can't see any parasites. They were laying eggs, but have since stopped. They eat and drink. When there are no other birds in the coop, I often open the door to see them running around and playing. When I remove them from the coop, they run back up as fast as they can. I have removed the food during the day. I even took the water out for a few hours, but because of the heat, I don't wish to kill the birds. When I replace the water, they run to take a drink.(FYI I took the birds out of the coop and showed them the water.) With the excessive heat, I do worry they are spending too much time indoors. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Perhaps I should try putting them back in their old coop (For breeding purposes, we want them with the RIR cock not the partridge rock from the other coop) Maybe we should just take them out and lock the coop in the evening when it's cool and there's no danger of overheating, then allow everyone in after sunset.
Thoughts and opinions? What should I look for?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom