afraid to let chicks free range!!!

So happy to find this discussion on free ranging. I have 9 hens. And want to free range but am terrified to do so.You all have given great advice, thank you, I'll let mine out an hour before dusk and call them in with some scratch.They've been in their coop with a 20x20ft run since May and just started to lay . And do put themselves to bed at night. Thanks again!

Mine unfortunately will NOT be free ranging due to the lack of leash laws and wealth of free running dogs. Almost lost my pullets to a neighbors labs once-will not happen again. Maybe once our fence goes up.

I was TERRIFIED to let my chickens and turkeys out of their coop and yard. I was sure the young turkeys would fly away and the chickens would run into the woods never to be seen again!
hit.gif
I got my courage up a few weeks back and just opened the gate. They all ran and foraged happily for a few hours and when I got ready for them to come back in, I hollered out, here chick, chick with a little scratch and they all scurried back into their coop, no problem!
celebrate.gif
After that day I have let them out daily and have not had a seconds trouble! I love those birds!!
love.gif
The hardest part is just getting the courage up to open the gate!

I have 9 chicks that are 7 weeks old. I am nervous about letting them free-range while we are at work, so I've been letting them out when we get home from work, which is only about 2 hours before sunset at this time of year. They seem to really love being free in the yard, and I love watching them! Today they get to be free all day since it's a day off work, and we'll see how far they wander. So far, they've stayed really close to the coop, because they seem to know it's home!

I'm happy to have found this thread to see what other people's experiences are with free range. We have a large front yard with plenty of tree cover surrounded by woods. There is a tree line along the front and also an old fence, but the driveway isn't fenced. My biggest fear is hawks when we aren't home during the day. We are in Northern Indiana and do have raccoons, coyotes, and other birds of prey in the area.

I do the same thing. I was given 7 bantam cochins hens and they run with my EE rooster and hen and two RIR/orps 2 month old crosses when I get home from work around 5. They get time to forge and dust bathe and seem really happy for that time. The hens spend most of the day in a converted horse stall open air coop. I wish I could give them time to be outside when I'm at work but I live out in the country and after reading this thread I don't think it's a good idea. I throw a bale of straw, compost, or scratch grains on the floor of the coop so they can be entertained at least during the day.

Mine are 19 weeks and 16 weeks. They've been free range since they were 7 weeks. I go out in the morning to feed, freshen their water, and then I open the door to the run. It stays open all day. At about 8pm, they put themselves in the coop and I close up. My yard is pretty safe (1/2 acre and fenced). I've seen raccoons and opossums but they're usually out at night. Occasionally a hawk flies over but the girls are good about hiding when they see one. They spot danger way waaaaay before I do.

They love hunting bugs so much that I'd rather lose one to a predator than keep them locked in my run. When I come to them in the morning, they are pacing the run and are ready to go out!
They're pretty street smart and don't wander to far from the coop or any other place they can get to safety. They don't like being out in the open. They haven't used the full 1/2 acre I have.

FYI-their eyes work different from ours. They use one eye out for predators and use the other for hunting food.

If you're able to have one, a rooster will also watch over them.

I have been really tempted to let them free range while I'm at work. I only work about 3 miles away. I did notice over the weekend when they were out all day that they stayed close to each other and someplace to hide. They mostly like the front deck area where there are plants, dirt baths, and probably lots of bugs under the deck. I think the tall walnut trees are probably cover enough from hawks, but I'm still a little scared. I let them out at lunch time yesterday, but came back a few hours later on my break just to make sure they were ok!

Back
Top Bottom