Afraid to use Baytril

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends đź’•
I have a 3 year old hen who seems to have EYP. I’ve been treating her myself the best I can. She eats.. drinks but I can tell she is declining. I’m not looking for a cure.. I know the end result of this. 💔 I did just get my Baytril in the mail and after some research feeling nervous to use it on her for fear of making her feel worse. Any thoughts? Any thoughts too on how to feed the liquid to her? Bear methods… she does NOT like to be held. I appreciate the suggestions on whether or not to use this!

Hi friends đź’•
I have a 3 year old hen who seems to have EYP. I’ve been treating her myself the best I can. She eats.. drinks but I can tell she is declining. I’m not looking for a cure.. I know the end result of this. 💔 I did just get my Baytril in the mail and after some research feeling nervous to use it on her for fear of making her feel worse. Any thoughts? Any thoughts too on how to feed the liquid to her? Bear methods… she does NOT like to be held. I appreciate the suggestions on whether or not to use this!
The way I get any liquid down an unwilling chicken's throat is just holding the beak open with my thumb and syringing a tiny bit down far enough so they can't spit it out and then holding the head up so they can swallow. I don't know about giving Baytril I'll let the more educated answer about that but if you are doing antibiotics, make sure you're supplementing with probiotics.

The way I get any liquid down an unwilling chicken's throat is just holding the beak open with my thumb and syringing a tiny bit down far enough so they can't spit it out and then holding the head up so they can swallow. I don't know about giving Baytril I'll let the more educated answer about that but if you are doing antibiotics, make sure you're supplementing with probiotics.
I’ve heard that before about probiotic.. I mix some into food but I don’t think she is getting enough or any of it.. so people just use human probiotics? Like a capsule? I wonder how much is too much? I have some good 35billion.. ?

I’ve heard that before about probiotic.. I mix some into food but I don’t think she is getting enough or any of it.. so people just use human probiotics? Like a capsule? I wonder how much is too much? I have some good 35billion.. ?
chickens have different bacteria in their gut than people is what I've heard other people say. I would try yogurt. You can also purchase probiotics to mix into the water. I use this.

I've used enrofloxacin, both oral and injectable, it hasn't been a problem. For the oral, just draw up your dose, put it in her beak .5 ml at a time or less, and let her swallow. Repeat until the entire dose is given. Wrap her in a towel to help hold her wings if she's not happy about being held, that makes it easier. You will get better with practice. :)

Back
Top Bottom