African geese

crazy cat lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
NW Illinois
Ok, I'm getting 3 african goose goslings the end of this month. Can anyone tell me how their temperament is. Are they aggressive, friendly a combo of both. I know they will be at breeding time, but what about any other time? Thanks...

I have one thing to tell you right off.

African geese are the ones people get to protect their property.

if you want them to be friendly, then you MUST spend every last minute you can spare in direct contact with them as babies and juveniles. If you have any way to be with them while they are hatching, I would highly suggest it. If you are there at hatching, they will imprint on you and you will become "mommy" and a thing not to be trifled with or challenged in their minds.

I have heard a couple of good stories about friendly africans, but tons of horror stories.

If you want to get friendly geese, try pilgrim, cottonpatch, or buff geese. They are MUCH easier to handle and very very friendly, if a little smaller in stature.

congrats on your babies!

I hatched 4 Giant African dewlaps from eggs that I got from Corancher, I began talking to them when they started to peep inside the egg, I LOVE them to pieces
love.gif
They come when I call, they sit with me and follow me around the yard as I pick goodies for them to eat...Love Love Love

~SunSetsWest~ :

I hatched 4 Giant African dewlaps from eggs that I got from Corancher, I began talking to them when they started to peep inside the egg, I LOVE them to pieces
love.gif
They come when I call, they sit with me and follow me around the yard as I pick goodies for them to eat...Love Love Love

I got an african hatchery goose at a day old at the feed store. I held her and carted her around and sat with her and let her follow me on outside chores. I took her to the lake with me and the kids. She is an absolute love. She never ever tries anything with me or my visitors (I exposed her to lots of strangers when she was a baby). For visitors she'll stand a good 4 foot away and call for me. She comes up on my raised back porch sometimes just to sit with me. I love love love her. I got dewlap toulouse from eggbid eggs that she wanted so bad, I allowed her to raise them. They are skittish and the males are constantly confrontational. I got sebs and new high quality dewlap toulouse this year and I am hand raising them and when my african girl wanted them I told her soundly that she couldn't have them. They are sweet and friendly just like she is, they all gather round me and visitors without any fear. Course the oldest is about 10-11 weeks old. If I leave them be at this point I think they might revert back to skittishness so I keep up with the goodies and attention. I think it's more in how you raise them. Again I just love her and the kids. I think a male at breeding time might be a force to be reconned with however.​

These will be hatchery goslings. Will have to keep them in a brooder in the office away from our kitties to get them used to us and on the friendly side.

Our saddleback was raised in the same room away from kitties. He actually jumped out of the tote whenever I came into the room. Silly Goose! Cheepers is 6 weeks old.

Another quick question about African geese- should you allow them to nibble on fingers, toes and clothing or try to discourage this? Thanks!

(Sorry to hijack, but I figured it applied.)

Quote:
I never discouraged it but I suppose you could. They are like human toddlers in that everything has to go in their mouthes. My big babies still nibble on me and if they nibble too hard and pinch I just say no no no, no pinchies and gently push their faces away and they seem to get it.

I had to have a couple geese when I moved out here in the fresh country air a few months ago. I wasn't sure what they were at first but they ended up being African. They were only a few days old when I purchased them from the feed store. Of course I babied them as if they were puppies. Holding them and talking to them. They are nearly full grown now and very friendly. I can feed them both by hand and Oscar the bigger one actually prefers it. He comes up to me and waits for his food while the others fight over theirs. He's special and I love him very much. Here's a pic from when I first brought them home. Yep that's Oscar right up front. He's a people pleaser.
love.gif

I hatched out a set of africans in February to be an alarm system for my property (which they are very good at). They have a lot of personality, strong character, and are louder than my other breeds. They love to have conversations and spend most of the day on my front porch/driveway. The gander has needed a lot of training to prevent him from becoming aggressive, but we are seeing positive changes with proper socialization.

I keep my younger and more docile toulouse and dewlaps separately fenced off, but my africans mingle freely with my ducks, horses and cats without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom