African or Super African? ID help?

cottontail farm

Crowing
9 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
0113181021c.jpg

Hi everyone, I bought my trio of geese last spring and ordered Super Africans. Now I'm starting to think they sent me regular Africans. :(
What do you think?
0113181021.jpg

Attachments

• 0113181021.jpg
    0113181021.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 11
Super Africans are larger in size compared to regular Africans. How heavy are they? Are they full grown? If you come to find out that they are just regular Africans, I would be giving that hatchery a phone call. Super Africans aren’t cheap, they cost a lot more than a regular African.

Super Africans are larger in size compared to regular Africans. How heavy are they? Are they full grown? If you come to find out that they are just regular Africans, I would be giving that hatchery a phone call. Super Africans aren’t cheap, they cost a lot more than a regular African.
They'll be a year old in March I think. I did send pictures to the hatchery and am waiting to hear back.
These are my first geese but they don't look like super africans to me as far as dewlap and body shape. I'm looking for imput from all of you experienced goose owners out there :)

update. The hatchery confirmed they sent me the wrong birds. These are the lower grade africans. IDK what to do.... They are offering to replace them of course but I don't have room for that many geese... I don't know how I'd rehome these 3. I really DO want the ones I paid for.
What to do, what to do.

Sell 'em on Craigslist. Or Belknap auction this spring--not now, they go for next to nothing in winter. Does your local TSC have facebook and animal swap dates? There's also Indiana auction--don't know how it handles small animal sales, though.

Try Pennswoods, if nothing else, or even, as a last resort, your state thread.

EDT: or you can ask your local feed store if they'll let you put up an advertisement.

Last edited:
update. The hatchery confirmed they sent me the wrong birds. These are the lower grade africans. IDK what to do.... They are offering to replace them of course but I don't have room for that many geese... I don't know how I'd rehome these 3. I really DO want the ones I paid for.
What to do, what to do.
I live in Syracuse new York. I might be able to help with the homing thing. I can give them a good home. I have a pretty big pond already in the works for spring.

I live in Syracuse new York. I might be able to help with the homing thing. I can give them a good home. I have a pretty big pond already in the works for spring.
I *think* we're going to try to keep all of them although that seems a little crazy just typing it out. Lol.
Thanks for the offer and I will keep you in mind if this doesn't work out. It looks like we live about 5 hours apart though (i'm in PA about halfway between Erie and Pittsburgh) .
The trio are really sweet birds just no what I had in mind.

I wanted to update this with pictures of the replacement goslings now that they are nearly a year old. The goose is in the background and she's getting a wonderful dewlap. The gander is the main one in these pictures. His dewlap is nice but smaller than I expected. Thoughts on him?
20190210_113845.jpg

Attachments

• 20190210_114139.jpg
    20190210_114139.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20190210_114159.jpg
    20190210_114159.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20190210_120451.jpg
    20190210_120451.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Agree with other poster there is no such thing as a super african. Africans are heavier, with black knobs, dewlap, and a calm disposition. How deep the keel or large the dewlap depends on level of show quality (much like not all aussie shepherds will win a blue ribbon per akc standard). Breeders strive to manipulate their stock to develop size and dewlaps as quick as possible, but many so called "hatchery africans" will look no different than what people call "super africans" when they are 6-8 years old. If you were looking for winning show quality, then Metzers, as a large commercial hatchery, is not the place to purchase them.

On the other hand, show quality africans are not as hardy or productive (shorter laying season, less eggs, less broody instincts), so the africans that have some chinese blood mixed in will have less health/physical issues and will also boost production.

If your birds have nice personalities and you enjoy them, then that is all that matters! But for what it is worth, the bird in the back of the picture looks like nicely developing for a 1yo, and I bet in a few years the one in the front will also look better developed.

I should have just stuck with a less confusing breed. I really do love American Buffs too. Probably I should just order more geese. My husband wouldn't notice extra birds for a couple of months anyway. :lau

Back
Top Bottom