After 2 long months the coop is done and I just have to show it off.

Quote:
LOL, the overhang and porch was also an afterthought. I have a smaller version of the same coop that I built last year that I have to go inside to collect the eggs (pictured below and the back of the new one to compare). It works ok but my feed buckets and supplies are always in my way, so when I built the new one I wanted no obstructions in my way. I think I'll be modifying the old one next year.
hmm.png

36856_002.jpg
36856_coop042.jpg

Nice! I love that the egg doors open down. Mine open up, and I've whacked my head a few times with them. (when cleaning the nesting boxes) Love the feeder idea too.

It looks really great and so much room! We just completed ours earlier this week and it too took much longer than we first anticipated. You did it right - i wish we would have gone a little bigger - i already want more chickens!! I think husband knew i would grow my flock to max capacity and limited the coop size on purpose!

Enjoy your hard work - very cool coop!!!
cool.png

That is a wonderful, well thought out design! We are very impressed. We just started with a barn, and have modified it a thousand times(to save money) I wish we had a coop as nice as yours. My only question is that every time we have used self feeders, we have run into massive rodent problems. More than the chickens can keep up with, have you ever had this happen with self feeders?

Quote:
Well it's only been in operation for a couple of weeks so I haven't had any problems with that so far. The rodents can't get into the hopper but they could feast in the trough. If they know what's good for them though they'll avoid exposing themselves, my chickens love to feast on mouse.

So far the self feeder has been working perfectly. I've gone through about 150 lbs so far in 6 weeks for 16 chickens. The only problem I'm having right now is their water freezing at night. I keep a watering can inside and fill it with hot water to start thawing their waterers in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom