After 2 years...

Garden Peas

Songster
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
After 2 years of running to Backyard Chickens for all the questions I couldn't get answered anywhere else... I finally joined today.

We have peas in the garden, and a few chickens too :)

Thanks for being such a great place!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! We have a nice Peafowl section if you want to talk to other Pea owners...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/51/peafowl

Good luck with your flocks and welcome to our roost!

Wow, thanks for all the cheery hellos!
cool.png

Someone asked what breed of chickens we have ... We have the chicken breed that small children pull randomly from stock tanks at Tractor Supply in springtime
lau.gif
(There should be an official name for them -- Pot Luckers? Random Fuzzies? Assorted Kid Bait?)

Seriously, the four we have left (some years later) are a couple of EE's, one red hen, and a silver-gray cochin bantie who is an awesome brooder. They live in a pen with four peas which we hatched from eggs. We also had a little flock of home-hatched chickens from fancy eggs, and a whole mess of guineas we hatched from community-laid eggs, but we had to move to the city, so the fancy chicks and the gazillion keets went to a nice home in the country. For peas, we have a couple IB's hatched from feral eggs, a BS hen, and an opal silver pied. Would expand the pea collection, but we are seriously limited in backyard space between the flock of birds, the pack of dogs, and the severely-trampled, nibbled garden...

I've been on the UPA forum for several years, but somehow never got around to joining here. Thanks again for the nice welcome.

Quote:
There should be an official name for them -- Pot Luckers? Random Fuzzies? Assorted Kid Bait?

gig.gif
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Wow, thanks for all the cheery hellos!
cool.png

Someone asked what breed of chickens we have ... We have the chicken breed that small children pull randomly from stock tanks at Tractor Supply in springtime
lau.gif
(There should be an official name for them -- Pot Luckers? Random Fuzzies? Assorted Kid Bait?)

Seriously, the four we have left (some years later) are a couple of EE's, one red hen, and a silver-gray cochin bantie who is an awesome brooder. They live in a pen with four peas which we hatched from eggs. We also had a little flock of home-hatched chickens from fancy eggs, and a whole mess of guineas we hatched from community-laid eggs, but we had to move to the city, so the fancy chicks and the gazillion keets went to a nice home in the country. For peas, we have a couple IB's hatched from feral eggs, a BS hen, and an opal silver pied. Would expand the pea collection, but we are seriously limited in backyard space between the flock of birds, the pack of dogs, and the severely-trampled, nibbled garden...

I've been on the UPA forum for several years, but somehow never got around to joining here. Thanks again for the nice welcome.

Nothing wrong with those Tractor Supply birds, although don't expect the people who work there to really know anything about them. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite birds. She loves their colored eggs. Frequently Tractor Supply stores carry sex links which are easy to identify the gender by color so you know your getting females and they are egg laying machines. In case it sounds like I am enamored with Tractor Supply stores, I've never actually bought any of my birds from one. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom