After 2 yrs. of free range...it finally happened

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with excercising caution. But people overreact, and children pick up on that. Pennsylvania has similar wildlife to Ohio. Certainly the possibility of larger predators exists, but, again, generally they will not bother people. If it was a deer and coyotes, the coyotes are gonna concentrate on deer, most likely. I say, if you're worried, establish a safely system by all means; I don't know how old your kids are but when we went to the Smokies all our kids carried bear spray... they were old enough and responsible enough to be trusted with it; but no one should be terrified of nature, which needs us to protect it. As I said, we have heard lots of sounds like that in our woods, even bobcat sounds and tracks, several years ago. It didn't stop me from letting our kids play, and still wouldn't.

I agree with Ruth. I wouldn't have chickens if I couldn't free range them. I have a well trained Golden Retriever on chicken patrol 24/7.

I have 3 acres but they choose to stay right around the house.

During the day they choose to hang out under the porch with the dog. They start roaming the yard when I'm out in late afternoon.

It's like they "know" when it's safe. I never lost a chicken to a predator yet.

I am taking an overall risk but rather have my silkies free.

We free range because they are chickens. Life for them is no different than life for us - sometimes accidents happen and that includes predators. We can't go through life protecting everything to the point of locking them up in a padded coop. It would be like us having to live in a padded cell.

I figure my responsibility is to make sure there are plenty of places to hide or not be 'in the open' when they are free ranging. We have small pine trees all over our main 'free range' area. The chickens are pretty good about sticking close to them. They still can have fresh grass and insects and have a better chance against any hawks that get too interested in their activities.

The area that doesn't have many trees has an old trampoline for protection.

Our property isn't completely fenced in. Dh just hasn't had the time or money to accomplish that. We're slowly making the chicken yard itself as predator resistant as we can but new neighbors let their small dogs run loose off an on. They come over here every chance they get. So, we've bought some of that cheap plastic orange fencing to slow them down and give us a chance to get out there when we hear them calling frantically for the little darlings. That has helped 100%!

Now for the funny. Dh was out working on some fencing last week when a 'hawk' caused everyone to run for cover. It was a glider. He got a good laugh out of it.

I let mine roam around outside for a few hours today too! It was fun watching them digging for bugs and roaming the terrain. I did not leave them alone at all however. I like the idea of using deer netting to enclose your space. I also am happy that I am in a grove with a lot of high tree cover all over so I think that helps with hawks.

I have a few questions for those who free range please?

Please everyone feel free to answer because i am sure everyone does it differently.

Do yours free range 24 7 or do they go into a coop at night?

Do you give yours feed also or is the bugs and foliage more than enough?

Do they brood their babies outdoors too?

How often do you think you loose some?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a few questions for those who free range please

Please everyone feel free to answer because i am sure everyone does it differently.

Do yours free range 24 7 or do they go into a coop at night?

I always lock up in a coop at night. That way I know they are safe from preds (note: my coop is right beside my dog kennel. I'd know if anyone was trying to get in there.) Also, this way, they're not roosting in trees and laying eggs everywhere...the coop is "home".

Do you give yours feed also or is the bugs and foliage more than enough?

I always provide free choice feed from a very large DIY PVC feeder which is in the coop which the girls have free access to. I always provide water, inside and out. They get household scraps that are safe for chickens daily and on chilly nights and mornings...chicken crack...erhm chicken scratch.
gig.gif

Do they brood their babies outdoors too?

I haven't had any broodies yet but if I did...I'd want them to be in a separate and secure area for brooding. After all the lil peeps were hatched I'd let her have the option of taking them outdoors and introducing them to the main flock. I have GLW and SLW and BR so I don't anticipate much broodiness here.

How often do you think you loose some?

I haven't yet **touch wood**. I know that I eventually will but I take precautions. I live beside a very busy highway on 3 acres, surrounded by farmers fields. I have 3 dogs that I let loose to roam the property morning and night to scare off any preds that might be on the property, and leave scent trails to discourage them. I hope for the best, and prepare for the worst while providing for my chickens the best life I can.​

Well, I let them out of the run for a whole day, and they seemed to be more vigilant, and the roo did a good job calling out warnings, although they would run and hide if an airplane or butterfly flew over.
answere to the wuestions...I lock them up in the coop at night, I provide feed and water, haven't had any broodies yet, although everyone lays in the nest boxes, and so far in the 2 yrs. that I have had chickens, I lost 2, one to the dog, although it was her fault, the dog was tied, and she got too close to him.

Quote:
I have about 24 chickens that free range on my property. They are let out of the coop around 6 am and stay out until dusk. At that point I walk outside and shut the coop door. Whoever is in the coop is in for the night.

I feed my birds some organic, antibiotic free scratch grains once a day. For the 24 of them (plus 4 ducks, and 4 turkeys) they only get 1/2 lb of food a day. The rest is made up with bugs and other forage they find.

As for brooding outside-most of my hens choose to hatch eggs in my barn and not their coop. However, this spring I woke up to the sound of peeping outside my window. My missing R.I. hen was under a big bush with 4 new chicks! This is the first time any of my hens have actually hatched chickes outside of the barn, and she's doing very well.

As for predators, I lost a lot of chickens this spring. After weeks of frustration, (and moving the live trap and animal camera) we determined it was the neighbors *lovely* dog. Anyway, we've taken care of the problem and haven't lost anything since. I am on 24 acres of pasture and woods with coyotees, bears, hawks, eagles, fox, skunk, and raccoon. The chickens have learned to stay on the upper 2 acres closer to the coop and this seems to be the "safe zone." My German Shephard is great at keeping an eye on them when they are up here. If they wander into the back then they are fair game-good thing they've learned to stay near the coop.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
My BO was caught by the hawk within 5 ft of the covered run, with the gate open and within 15 ft. of the coop, which is raised so they can go under it, so being close to the coop didn't really help, I think they were just too young to recognize danger

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom