1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

After 3 days, she did it (pic)! Was it the plastic egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GardenGal, Sep 3, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Our big Kahuna gave us a big brown egg today [​IMG] She's been going up to the nesting boxes faithfully every morning, and after 3 days she did it! Was it the plastic egg I put in there this morning? I don't know. What's funny is when I was changing out the water in the coop this evening I found a soft little egg. From someone else?? Whatever, it's just so darn cool!!!

[​IMG]

2. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice work, Hen!

4. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:I got my first one too!!!!!!

It was a beautiful brown egg! Congratulations!!!!!

5. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    Jealous. Anxiously awaiting my 1st!!!! My oldest girls are 22 weeks. How old are yours??? Congrats!!! [​IMG]

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    The Kahuna was hatched May 1st, so that's about 4 months. She's been trying for a week now, and laid some runny stuff first. I don't know if it helped, but I've been giving them plain yogurt for extra calcium.

Congrats, Christina!!

7. liljoshappybirds

liljoshappybirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    I am nervous and excited and anxious for our first egg(s)! Our girls range from 18-22 weeks and their breeds are varied too. We have boxes in place and false eggs too. My son and I saw one of our Cinnamon Queens seriously investigating one of the nest boxes. Super excited and can't wait! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by