After a two months with no eggs now they are laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Dec 1, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I went for two whole months with absolutly not a birds laying out of the whole flock!!! I have been getting eggs for about a week and a half now. My Wellsummers are really outdoing themselves they are giving 5 or 6 a week. The faverolle bantams are giving me an egg a day with no extra light and living in a chicken tractor thats half open. I also have at least two Ameraucana laying one is a pullet so the eggs a little and the other is a 1 year old hen. The Marans hen and also some of the other Ameraucana pullets are really thinking about laying for me soon though. When I have time I will take pictures and post them the Wellsummer eggs are just spectacular looking and the Ameraucana are very blue.

Henry

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, my girls are back to laying full time as well. Ain't it great?! [​IMG]

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Ya its really nice I wouldn't exactly call what my girls are doing "full time" [​IMG] 4 eggs a day from 17 hens is pullets really isn't that great but once the younger girls start up I will have lots of eggs [​IMG]

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    OK, Send some good vibes my way plz! 1 egg from 20 hens today![​IMG]

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I will be up to 19 hens and pullets when my Paul Smith girls get here! I am sending you some egg vibes. Do you have them on extra light? That was what caused to jump from a big fat 0 to 3 or 4 and hopefully the ameraucana will stop thinking about starting to lay and actually do it!

Henry

6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Just got three eggs from the retirement coop today! [​IMG] I was starting to think how nice some of them would look in the freezer, They went through a fairly long moult and now they are coming around again. It's going to be very cold here for the next several days so we'll see how they manage. [​IMG]

7. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Yep, molting is a pain. Feeding all that feed and nothing coming out that is eatable. You just have to hang in there, "They will come".

8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Henry, I do have them on extra light for over a month now and nothing! If I have to buy eggs, there'll be trouble!!!![​IMG]

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    So what's the secret? I do believe that mine have forgotten how to lay eggs. Did their combs shrink up and then redden up again? Did you have a lot of molting? I am also interested to know which of the dark egg layers do the best in the middle of winter. That is what I want to add to my flock next year, but I want good egg layers, not lazy bums like my EEs have turned out to be! (but they are cute...)

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    You know,

Did you ever watch that show BABE? About the piglette who shepherded the sheep? He had learned the secret password.

I am thinking that maybe my chickens are holding out for the secret password!

Can someone please share with me the secret password?

My two GLW and apparently my Barred Plymouth Rock should all be laying eggs for me by now. GLS 5/15/2009 and BPR 7/20/2009 hatching respectively.

I got nothing!

I am nice to them, give them clean water daily, give treats, cook them hard boiled eggs, keep the coop clean! I even gave them a nightlight!

I don't get it!

(I even have a rooster not that the hens need a rooster to lay eggs but someone suggested they would be more inclined to ovulate with a handsome hunk around)

Thanks for listening

Cal
    Jax FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by