After all your advice, after all your how to's.....

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
I went with the kennel for a chicken run

I was freaking out on doing all the wires, and u tips..and wood post..my dh is not helping..lol

So, today..in the pouring rain, and slighty too much to drink from the wedding last night and my pink chicken..lol

I went to tsc and purchased kennels..shoot talk about torn between two

Doc bob..or the other 10 x 10

After looking at both..and going to 3 different tsc

I decided on the doc bob one...it's 5x10
But purchase two of them

Laid out right my run will be 15x15, I think with an extra panel here or there..lol

The 10 footnpanels break into two- 5 foot panels

So I sure hopeni did my calculations right..

Purchased black paint rustoleum, and cans of rustoleum spray paint..

yep..I will be painting them black....
Purchase hog rings and the tool

And have 1/2 inch hardware cloth 100 foot roll x 48 inches

Hoping to do the bottom and across the top with it

Here's my questions

Do I need to put something under the top..can I just stretch the hardware across the top, fold over and hog ring it? Does it need some kind of support? Please say no..that it's sturdy and can go across the top....for now...

Also, what tool to cut the hardware cloth with? Oh my goodness..I need more hardware cloth..ayayaya

And last but not least- oh no I forgot..okay will ask that when I remember

Later yes, I will add corner post and build kinda like a pergola over it ..etc next month..and then place the corrugated roof over that

Thank u again having answered so many of my questions..

Xoxox

You can DO it, with or without help from DH. I made my chicken coop by myself, but fortuneately he helped with the run since I had a knee injury. ( Injured while building the coop)

Thanks..but I bought the kennels
Now I need to know if I just place the hardware cloth across the top of the kennel?
Or run wood beams across first..and how do I get the wood beams to mount on too?

All that lovely stuff

I get overwhelmed with all this..lol

But thank u and u should be very proud of yourself
Xoxox

How much snow do you get there? Hardware cloth will catch it, so you need to have the weight of the wire supported and the weight of the maximum amount of snow you will ever have accumulated on it.

We had to do more support for ours, because we get so much snow. Our run has a peaked roof built on it. I'm thinking you can go with something less complicated for your area.

Quote:
Sorry, but as I think was mentioned in your other thread (unless I'm getting people mixed up
tongue.png
), you need strong rafter-type supports for a wire top, especially if it will be hardwarecloth or other small mesh material. In N VA you not-infrequently get big dumps of wet snow that will swiftly and massively take down a less-than-sturdily-supported top. Essentially it needs to be built as if you were putting solid roofing on (although if you are using larger mesh material, e.g. 2x4 mesh, you can go a bit more lightly-built)

Also, what tool to cut the hardware cloth with? Oh my goodness..I need more hardware cloth..

The fastest thing IME is to get a pair of giant metal shears, they look like Godzilla-size scissors and are meant for cutting sheet metal. They may run you twenty or thirty bucks (I have not priced them lately) and because of their size are a bit more awkward to use than regular scissors but they can snip right thru hardwarecloth like scissors cutting paper. FAR FAR faster and easier than the alternatives (wire cutter, hacksaw). I have seen someone use a metal cutting blade on a circular saw, but it was scary-dangerous looking and I utterly do NOT recommend it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Quote:
Sorry, but as I think was mentioned in your other thread (unless I'm getting people mixed up
tongue.png
), you need strong rafter-type supports for a wire top, especially if it will be hardwarecloth or other small mesh material. In N VA you not-infrequently get big dumps of wet snow that will swiftly and massively take down a less-than-sturdily-supported top. Essentially it needs to be built as if you were putting solid roofing on (although if you are using larger mesh material, e.g. 2x4 mesh, you can go a bit more lightly-built)

Also, what tool to cut the hardware cloth with? Oh my goodness..I need more hardware cloth..

The fastest thing IME is to get a pair of giant metal shears, they look like Godzilla-size scissors and are meant for cutting sheet metal. They may run you twenty or thirty bucks (I have not priced them lately) and because of their size are a bit more awkward to use than regular scissors but they can snip right thru hardwarecloth like scissors cutting paper. FAR FAR faster and easier than the alternatives (wire cutter, hacksaw). I have seen someone use a metal cutting blade on a circular saw, but it was scary-dangerous looking and I utterly do NOT recommend it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Yes, so I will connect 2x6 across the top, like rafters with pipe clamps and or fence connector to wood things..and then connect the hardware cloth to the rafters..what do you think Pat?

Wanted to know, can I just place across the top of the run..2x 6 or should I use a different type of size ?
Thank u so much

What about using metal electrical conduit as the supports? Lay the conduit over the top and then wire it in place with some aluminum fence ties. 1/2" conduit would probably do, but 3/4" would be even better. It comes in 10 foot lengths and is easily cut down with a pipe cutter or hack saw. It could also easily be painted black to match the rest. If you are worried about any snow load use more of them. I'd probably start with placing them 2 feet apart.

Zip tie it with a tarp on top ~ if you wanna use boards, you would have to tie the boards to the kennels with a rope or somethin..then take a long 2x4 & stand it up in the middle of the kennel so the rain can drain off the tarp onto the ground...for snow, it's heavier & you will have to go out there, go inside the kennel & knock the snow off the top/tarp....

Back
Top Bottom