After an unsuccessful first hatch...I'm trying AGAIN!

Lroach711

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Pickens, SC
Well...my first hatch kinda sucked!
he.gif
Only 1 chick hatched out of 7. But it sure is an adorable little chick, so it can't be considered a complete failure! I'm pretty sure my digital thermometer isn't right on. When I put it next to my thermastat in the house, the thermastat said 69 and the thermometer said 70.9. This would definately explain some things. I also think I'm going to try to put a pc fan on my incubator. (I have an older model LG still air) All this said...I've contacted a local breeder and will be getting a dozen B/B/S Orpington eggs on Wednesday
smile.png
Since these wont be shipped eggs and I've definately learned from my first attempt, I'm hoping to have a much more successful hatch! I'm going to try and not get SO excited this time too so if it doesn't turn out great I wont be so disappointed. Wish me luck!
jumpy.gif

Good luck! Doesn't sound like your thermometer is off by that much. How did you turn your eggs and what was your humidity. Maybe one of those things was your problem and not the temp.

Quote:
The reason my temp concerned me is because I had some temp spikes. A couple times it got up to 102.4..and I've read so much about hot spots in the LG still airs. I had an automatic egg turner and my humidity was between 30 and 40% until day 18..then it was between 60 and 70%. I also had the eggs propped sideways in an egg carton for hatching. (realized way too late I should've cut the bottom of the cups out for airflow) I think this time I'll just set them on some paper towel on the metal mesh.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just curious, I assume the first batch of eggs were shipped, right? What kind of eggs? Did they develop and die before pipping? Your humidity sounds like it was spot on. I think the fan is a huge step in the right direction. When I used the LG on the last batch, there were so many different temps going on, one on the bottom by the hardware cloth, one in the middle on the egg turner and one on top of the eggs. My hatch was not very good either, I did hatch out 4 of my 6 non-shipped eggs (one not fertile and one DIS) the shipped eggs were fertile and developed but never pipped except one who hatched with my help. This time I have an incubator with a fan and I am still using shipped eggs. I tried to get them from closer to me so they only spent one day in the mail. I also got vast quantities of eggs.
smile.png

So, if they all hatch I will be in a bit of trouble.

hide.gif

Quote:
Just curious, I assume the first batch of eggs were shipped, right? What kind of eggs? Did they develop and die before pipping? Your humidity sounds like it was spot on. I think the fan is a huge step in the right direction. When I used the LG on the last batch, there were so many different temps going on, one on the bottom by the hardware cloth, one in the middle on the egg turner and one on top of the eggs. My hatch was not very good either, I did hatch out 4 of my 6 non-shipped eggs (one not fertile and one DIS) the shipped eggs were fertile and developed but never pipped except one who hatched with my help. This time I have an incubator with a fan and I am still using shipped eggs. I tried to get them from closer to me so they only spent one day in the mail. I also got vast quantities of eggs.
smile.png

So, if they all hatch I will be in a bit of trouble.

hide.gif

They were shipped eggs. Out of 11, 7 developed. There were 4 Blue Copper Maran eggs that were very hard to candle so I'm not 100% how developed they were. I could see some veining in them though. In addition to those there were 2 BLRW and 1 B/B/S Orpington. The B/B/S Orp pipped and I could see it's little beak. It never hatched out. I didn't intervene. I wish I had now though.
sad.png
After that one died, I quickly removed it and the one chick that had hatched and dried. I could still hear peeping so I thought maybe there was a chance for another one hatching. But nothing else ever pipped. The eggs came from NC and I'm in SC. It took maybe 2 days for them to get here...so they didn't come too far. Since then I've found breeders close by that have all the breeds I could ever want
smile.png
I figure I'll have a much better hatch rate especially if I get that fan installed in time. ( DH is gonna have to help me on that one!) I was only planning on getting a dozen B/B/S Orp eggs but now I've seen where someone closeby has some Blk & Blue Copper Maran eggs for sale..ughh my hubby's gonna kill me LOL

Quote:
I got some Blue and Blue Splash Marans eggs this time. I also got some large Cochin eggs because I think they are just gorgeous birds.

During my last hatch, I also had one Easter Egger chick pip and then die with it's little beak in the shell. I think it was in the wrong position because the pip was in the middle of the shell. I regreted not intervening, so when my ONE (from a shipment of 12+) Black Copper Marans chick zipped then quit for 12 hours and stopped moving, I decided I wasn't going to let it go without trying to save it. It seems to be doing just fine now, one week later (see avatar pic) but it is not exactly a Black Copper Marans, lol.

Good luck with this batch, I am sure using non-shipped eggs will make a HUGE difference for you!

fl.gif
<---- got my fingers crossed

Quote:
I got some Blue and Blue Splash Marans eggs this time. I also got some large Cochin eggs because I think they are just gorgeous birds.

During my last hatch, I also had one Easter Egger chick pip and then die with it's little beak in the shell. I think it was in the wrong position because the pip was in the middle of the shell. I regreted not intervening, so when my ONE (from a shipment of 12+) Black Copper Marans chick zipped then quit for 12 hours and stopped moving, I decided I wasn't going to let it go without trying to save it. It seems to be doing just fine now, one week later (see avatar pic) but it is not exactly a Black Copper Marans, lol.

Good luck with this batch, I am sure using non-shipped eggs will make a HUGE difference for you!

fl.gif
<---- got my fingers crossed

Thanks so much! I love Cochins too! They really are gorgeous. I especially love the lemon blue color. I definately will at least try to intervene next time. The chick had made a rather large hole but never started to zip. I felt AWFUL when it died and that was the breed I reallllly wanted. The poor little thing was so cute.

Back
Top Bottom