After setting for about a week one egg broken one missing?

MollyDora

Chirping
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Crocker, MO
I am soooo sad right now.

Our goose had layed 5 eggs and started setting about a week ago.

Today when they went to the pond to go swim, we looked in the nestbox and one egg was broken and one was missing (maybe it was broken too)... we took the broken egg out and tried to take as much bedding out that we could that was soiled...

is this something that happens? does anybody have experience with something like this?. It almost seems like Lois is sad.

We moved the eggs to one corner of the nestbox and added a bunch of new bedding (straw). the last time we checked, there was just not enough bedding and the part where the eggs were was just bare underneath (it's a plastic dog house).

any advice?

Thank you.

Since you moved the eggs and put down more bedding is she back on the nest? Most likely she either stepped on the eggs or being they were on the bottom of the house with out bedding under maybe just laying on them and them being pushed together caused them to break,. It seems they like to have their eggs right on the floor My Muscovy is sitting on 4 eggs has a beautiful nest all mounded up around her but when she gets off and I look in there are the eggs laying on the floor of the crate with nothing under them but the nest itself is mounded about a foot high all around them. go figure. My gooses eggs are pretty tough though but I guess if they were being pushed around they could crack open.

yes she is back to setting. *thank goodness*.

It's a relieve to hear that your goose does the same thing... and yes no matter how much straw we give her, it's all rounded up around her, but the eggs are right on the floor.

Let's hope for the remaining 3 eggs!

Thank you for your reply.

yes she is back to setting. *thank goodness*.

It's a relieve to hear that your goose does the same thing... and yes no matter how much straw we give her, it's all rounded up around her, but the eggs are right on the floor.

Let's hope for the remaining 3 eggs!

Thank you for your reply.
update when you can.

Make sure to put lots and lots of straw in their nest. I suggest that you take the eggs out gently make sure to bring the straw and put all kinds of straw in there into a big nest so the eggs are on straw in the carrier. This is so when momma goose comes back and gets in she will have plenty of straw and will make a great big bowl nest and there will plenty on the bottom.
I have 4 dog carrier crates and do the straw that way and they always have straw on the bottom of the nest.
Best of Luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

hello,

soooo, at this point she is still sitting but it seems she gets off the nest more often. Also there is only 2 eggs left.

Now my question, if those eggs are either not fertizilzed or got bad because they got yolk from the other broken egg all over them, will the Goose know this and eventually go off the nest?

I just don't want her to sit for no reason. Poor Momma bird, I feel bad for her.

Thank you.

hello,

soooo, at this point she is still sitting but it seems she gets off the nest more often. Also there is only 2 eggs left.

Now my question, if those eggs are either not fertizilzed or got bad because they got yolk from the other broken egg all over them, will the Goose know this and eventually go off the nest?

I just don't want her to sit for no reason. Poor Momma bird, I feel bad for her.

Thank you.
I don't think yolk or dirt really matters because I have seen my Muscovy's hatch some pretty dirty eggs. When she comes off you should candle the eggs. That way you'll know for sure if a gosling is alive in there. How many days now since she has been sitting? should be getting close right?

Hi,

we don't have a candler so we tried to use the flashlight and toilet paper roll trick, but she won't go off at night and since she only goes off for a very short time we don't want to carry the eggs too far (where it's dark) and when we tried to hold it in a dark corner in the barn we could not see anything ... as in the light was not bright enough or the shell was too thick... she has been setting for about 28 days.

Any other tricks on how to candle an egg without a candler?

Thank you very much for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom