After symptoms disappear, how long do they need to be separated?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
My two sick hens are responding to antibiotic for some kind of respiratory illness and are feeling a lot better than they were a couple days ago. I'm expecting them to be asymptomatic at the end of the antibiotic cycle on Wed, but how long do they need to remain separated before I can add them back? I have 4 more hens in the coop that have not shown any symptoms.

Quote:
Do you know what they had?
If they had Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) they may be over the systems but, they are now a carer and always will be a carer of the Disease so any bird that it come in contact could get it from them.

Chris

Quote:
Do you know what they had?
If they had Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) they may be over the systems but, they are now a carer and always will be a carer of the Disease so any bird that it come in contact could get it from them.

Chris

I agree with Chris. They will remain carriers and could infect your other chickens.

Here's the thread of the sickness going on (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=510904). I have 2 sick hens and my chicks are sneezing. The hens have been responding so far to duramycin and it is too early to tell if it's working for the chicks/broody. The two hens are still sneezing/coughing occasionally but are no longer having problems breathing.

I understand that risk, but whatever it is has already spread to the chicks and broody who are in a separate building and I will not be adding any more to my flock after this. If another one gets it I'll just separate it and wait for it to run its course so that everyone's a carrier anyway.

If it not something that causes them to become a carrier when can I put them back?

Back
Top Bottom