After Their Crops are Full and They've Gotten a Drink

sandburRanch

Songster
Mar 2, 2022
1664813372453.jpeg

They will need a place to roost . A easy roost to make so cleaning beneath is not so complicated .
In two 2 X4-s or two 1X4-s etc. cut half round holes or V notches to support the authentic roost tree limbs you cut to length for the spacing you need to fit in the limb supports . If necessary to prevent lateral movement the roost openings can be easily capped .
Remove the roost limbs to clean or it can be constructed to hinge the complete assembly and tether to the ceiling or roof for cleaning the floor .

Not sure where you wanted to go with this? Is a chicken who is full from eating and drinking in need of a nap in a recliner? Well.... no, not in my opinion. And if they are is that a good roosting schematic... Well, sure, but to be honest I wouldn't use it. I find Horizontal 2x4's over poop boards to be the most efficient. :oops: :confused:

I have something like that in my coop. I never installed poop-boards (don't have the self-discipline to clean up daily after 75 or so chickens), so the deep litter works best for me below those inclined roosts. I used 2x8's, since cutting the notches weakened the overall strength and they've got to hold about 250-300 pounds of birds plus the weight of the roosting bars. The bottom bars are removable and only rest in the notches. The other bars are secured, since I don't want them rolling off and injuring any birds on the next bar down. It's enough for me to get the scoop shovel in there to clean.

However, I DO NOT have the incline right, or the distance between bars. This NEEDS TO BE REBUILT so that birds on lower bars don't get pooped on, and can't get pecked on, either:
1664830331590.png

As for pecking order, they work it out. Top birds take the top bar. Youngsters are relegated to the small set of bars below the window (where pecking and pooping aren't an issue, due to their smaller size). Everyone else is scattered on middle bars.

I have something like that in my coop. I never installed poop-boards (don't have the self-discipline to clean up daily after 75 or so chickens), so the deep litter works best for me below those inclined roosts. I used 2x8's, since cutting the notches weakened the overall strength and they've got to hold about 250-300 pounds of birds plus the weight of the roosting bars. The bottom bars are removable and only rest in the notches. The other bars are secured, since I don't want them rolling off and injuring any birds on the next bar down. It's enough for me to get the scoop shovel in there to clean.

However, I DO NOT have the incline right, or the distance between bars. This NEEDS TO BE REBUILT so that birds on lower bars don't get pooped on, and can't get pecked on, either:
View attachment 3279718

As for pecking order, they work it out. Top birds take the top bar. Youngsters are relegated to the small set of bars below the window (where pecking and pooping aren't an issue, due to their smaller size). Everyone else is scattered on middle bars.
If you are inclined to do so , narrower lumber can be re-inforced at the notch locations by gluing and nailing a piece of plywood at notch locations to be cut out when the notches are cut .

I followed your design except this part. Do you mean the roost bar moving sideways? Not the chickens? What do you mean by "capped"?
We'll see what @sandburRanch says, but I see it as adding another board at the same angle on each end, but no notches, and placed where the ends of the roosting bars butt up against the end boards. Perpendicular, not parallel. Plywood would work, too.

We'll see what @sandburRanch says, but I see it as adding another board at the same angle on each end, but no notches, and placed where the ends of the roosting bars butt up against the end boards. Perpendicular, not parallel. Plywood would work, too.
Wouldn't it be easier to notch the roost pole to fit over the support poles a bit? It shouldn't take much of a notch. At least, mine doesn't budge. Hm, although my supports don't move. Maybe if the supports are made of a flexible wood, the roost might move.

I have heard, that chickens prefer to roost with their feet flat rather than having to grip something? So this doesn't really seem the best for that.
It makes one wonder why chickens have a tendon in their leg that can be pulled upward and the feet / toes naturally contract to grip a tree limb where they roosted for hundreds of years before the internet and all kinds of wrong information can be read . Those internet folks never played with a chicken leg as a kid when folks butchered their own .

I have heard, that chickens prefer to roost with their feet flat rather than having to grip something? So this doesn't really seem the best for that.
It varies, I think. I have a ton of pens with both options and some individual birds prefer to sit and some prefer to grip when sleeping. Helps me know who's doing good when I know they'll be in a certain spot each night

Back
Top Bottom