After Their Crops are Full and They've Gotten a Drink

I followed your design except this part. Do you mean the roost bar moving sideways? Not the chickens? What do you mean by "capped"?
My roost poles were the length that went from the outer edge of 2x4 to 2x4 . Didn't extend past the 2X's . A piece of lumber or plywood was nailed to the outer side of the 2x4 roost pole opening and prevented lateral movement .

This looks like a good design. I just have a 2x4 supported at each end with a joist hanger. The whole roost lifts out. Similar to this. I also have a 2nd set up with branches held up by stumps. Most prefer the 2x4, but a few of my younger birds use the branches.

So with roosts too close the chickens poop on each other ?:(

I doubt any of you ever heard of Ma and Pa Kettle on the farm . Well , it seems as if a few of their hens roosted in the house on the edge of the wooden flour barrel that had no top . So each night some of the chickens were always turned the wrong way so Pa kettle always said " Ma , turn the chickens and let's go to bed " .

So with roosts too close the chickens poop on each other ?

I doubt any of you ever heard of Ma and Pa Kettle on the farm . Well , it seems as if a few of their hens roosted in the house on the edge of the wooden flour barrel that had no top . So each night some of the chickens were always turned the wrong way so Pa kettle always said " Ma , turn the chickens and let's go to bed " .
I'm not sure to whom this comment is directed. I remember Ma and Pa Kettle. My birds don't poop on each other.

However, I DO NOT have the incline right, or the distance between bars. This NEEDS TO BE REBUILT so that birds on lower bars don't get pooped on, and can't get pecked on, either:

I'm not sure to whom this comment is directed. I remember Ma and Pa Kettle. My birds don't poop on each other.
I think it might have been directed towards me. I'm not really sure whether they actually get pooped on, because I never see evidence of it on their backs. However, the birds' butts on the top bar are positioned somewhat over the birds' backs on the middle bar - if the top bar birds are facing the wall (some do). It's good design, just poor execution on my part. The angle is too steep. It's slated to be corrected sometime this fall.

I think it might have been directed towards me. I'm not really sure whether they actually get pooped on, because I never see evidence of it on their backs. However, the birds' butts on the top bar are positioned somewhat over the birds' backs on the middle bar - if the top bar birds are facing the wall (some do). It's good design, just poor execution on my part. The angle is too steep. It's slated to be corrected sometime this fall.
Oh - I missed that post entirely. My bad. My internet here has been even worse than usual, and I don't think everything has been loading properly.

And I have a bazillion things I'd like to redo on my coop after a few years of seeing what works and what doesn't. The roost is one of the things I wouldn't change. Maybe between the two of us, we could design a perfect coop.

Back
Top Bottom