Aftercare for egg bound hen that's not eating or drinking after 4 eggs removed!

Jazzchick17

In the Brooder
May 24, 2019
Hello Everyone! I'm hoping for some suggestions from those more experienced than myself.
Yesterday afternoon I noticed one of my Ameraucana's was separate from the flock, had droppings along her backside, and her bottom looked like it was protruding. I put her in a dog kennel and brought her inside. I suspected that she was egg bound and proceeded to follow many of the suggestions here.
- I put her in a warm epsom salt bath and did an exam with a well lubricated/gloved finger and could feel an egg. I let her soak for about 20 minutes.
- Gave her a calcium supplement that was dissolved in water and syringed it into her mouth.
- Waited an hour and she was still straining so I put her back into another warm bath.
- Gently massaged her abdomen in an effort to help her move the egg out. I swear I felt two eggs from the outside!
- I could tell by the way she was acting that she wasn't going to be able to pass the eggs on her own, so I used gentle traction from the outside of her body and helped her push them out. The first egg came out and there was a little blood that also came out. Once the first egg was out the other egg moved into position and I helped that one along the same path.
- I put her back in the kennel to relax and rest and she proceeded to continue pushing and pushed out what appeared to be the torn membrane of an egg. I was shocked as I watched her to continue pushing as I was sure I'd be dealing with a prolapse at any minute. To my surprise another fully intact soft shell egg emerged.

At this point I figured the poor hen was probably exhausted and in shock. I made sure she was towel dried and provided food, water, and gave her some nutridrench in our warm bathroom and let her rest. Today she's awake but doesn't appear to have eaten or drank anything. She's just perched on the edge of the cardboard box that's filled with shavings. I'm worried that there's something else I should be doing? Should I give her another bath and clean out her vent? None of the shelled eggs broke and the soft membrane that came out I was able to remove completely. I don't want to mess with her poor backside anymore if it's not necessary. I gave her a dose of chicken intensive care herbs last night and am hoping that she isn't going to come down with an infection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just amazed that the poor girl had that many eggs in her little body! I hope I did the right things for her.

Job well done on your part! I’ve had successfully had a hen survive these situations and in a couple of other cases, they didn’t end so well.
Sorry I’m not able to give you extra advice as it seems you are doing what I would in this circumstance. The only advice is to keep a close eye on her from no on. My hens that started out with the egg binding issue, always had problems thereafter. Good Luck to you and your little lady.

Job well done on your part! I’ve had successfully had a hen survive these situations and in a couple of other cases, they didn’t end so well.
Sorry I’m not able to give you extra advice as it seems you are doing what I would in this circumstance. The only advice is to keep a close eye on her from no on. My hens that started out with the egg binding issue, always had problems thereafter. Good Luck to you and your little lady.
Since she’s not drinking I would use some Drench to syringe in her mouth. Drinking is the most important at this point.

Good job for getting the eggs out.

What is this chicken intensive care stuff?
Is it something you made or bought?

Have you given her more calcium today?

Tums is good for supplemental calcium if she won't do oyster shell. If she won't eat her feed, maybe add some water to it so she is getting food and water together? Fluids are vital, as previously mentioned.
INCREDIBLE job helping to pass those eggs! We've lost two to egg binding that I didn't get assertive enough with.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Are real antibiotics from a vet ( or online) an option?

Update: I’ve syringed her some fluids with poultry drench mixed in. When I picked her up her abdomen felt very puffy so I decided to give her another Epsom soak. Once in there I gloved up and unfortunately found some shell and other crud in her poor little body. I could have sworn we got everything out last night but the membrane that she passed may have had a shell around it that broke away :(. As I was cleaning her out I noticed a bit of tissue that was a bit harder and bumpier and it came out, but it was still attached so I just gently bathed it to make sure there were no shell fragments and stuck it back in. I’m assuming that was her uterus???
This is pretty intense for a backyard hobby!

Are real antibiotics from a vet ( or online) an option?
We don’t have a chicken vet yet and as awful as it sounds I don’t think my husband would be super agreeable to spending a ton on a chicken. I wouldn’t really know where to start with online antibiotics but I did give her oil of oregano, colloidal silver, and another dose of the intensive care herbs. Now that I think she’s all cleaned out she might start feeling better soon.
The pic is of the five eggs I pulled out of her. There’s a smashed one on the backside of the cup to make five.

Attachments

• 74B21EA3-E05E-49C3-A93C-02A5E08E94A6.jpeg
    74B21EA3-E05E-49C3-A93C-02A5E08E94A6.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom