Again, nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cravenchx, Sep 4, 2011.

1. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    We have 13 hens, 1 roo, my husband
    thinks we need more than 4 nesting boxes,
    I think we only need 3 at the most.
    What do you guys think?

2. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    You could have one for each hen and they will probably only use the same one. I have 30 hens and I have 10 nesting boxes and they use 2, and a spot in the bushes and under a pallet leaning against the wall. They go where the want to go!!

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Czech's_chicks :

You could have one for each hen and they will probably only use the same one. I have 30 hens and I have 10 nesting boxes and they use 2, and a spot in the bushes and under a pallet leaning against the wall. They go where the want to go!!

And no way to stop them! I think I will convince to
    have no more than 3! Thanks!​

4. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    i have 10 hens 4 nest boxs and they use 3 of 4[​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I think you are good with what you have. They won't use all of them. I have 100+ chickens and I have about 30 nesting boxes and I sometimes find as many as 10 eggs in 1 nesting box every day [​IMG] They just don't use all of them.

6. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have 10 hens in one coop and it has 6 nesting boxes. I always find all of the eggs in one box, except one of my Brahmas lays across the coop by herself, so I think you are good, except maybe when everybody goes broody or something.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have seven hens.Those that lay in the am use the milk crate in the chicken shed(while locked up).When I take them to the back yard they all use the booda litter box nester in the lean- to even though I have a milk crate and a wicker laundry basket. I think I read one nest box per 3 hens.Lol,sometimes I had 2 hens in the booda box!The hens would fight ove the one milk crate even though I had 2 more set up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by