Against all odds, and they were bad, they are hatching!! Now with pic!

Ferngully

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 6, 2008
N.E. Florida
I can't believe it!
big_smile.png

I had set 30 eggs in my Brower(17 wellsummer, 8 oegb, and 5 mixed of EE and BCM). These eggs came OUT of my refridgerator, where they had been stored for OVER a week. I came back from vacation and thought "hey why not give it a try" this was a second attempt at hatching, the first from shipped eggs all failed. I figured it couldn't be any worse of odds. Well little did I know. The light burned out on the incubator at a round day 12. When we discovered it, the temp was 80
th.gif
then we lost power day 17 for a few hours during the night
th.gif
By this point I told the kids the odds are really against us now. I took them off the turner on day 19 and upped the humidity. I know it should have been 18 but I figured with the outages it would delay things. NOT!
Yesterday (day 20) we got a pip, "huh" today should be 21. What in the world....then another pip. I didn't think they would make it. Then all of a sudden a third egg pipped(with blood showing on the shell), zipped and was fluttering around the bator in less than 30 minutes(I didn't think it would make it because of the blood). I figure it HAS to be a roo, and lord is it big. Chick number 2 decided to join its buddy in the world, it came out with a comb. We hope it grows into it someday lol. Woke up this morning chick one is out and 5 more wellie pips, 1 oegb and one green egg pipped.
These eggs had huge odds against them, came from the fridge and were over a week old in there, and 2 serious temperature drops. I didn't even set up the brooder this time because I didn't want to be disappointed again.
So now I have 3 little peeps running around the bator cheering everyone else on. I will update with the hatchings and pics later.

So it just goes to show you, don't loose hope even when the deck is stacked against you.

Last edited:
celebrate.gif
That is wonderful news! I'm scouring he hatching thread for others that are hatching with me right now. I woke to one chick sitting in it's shell this morning and went to clean my kitchen up and another one zipped out when my back was turned! It's day 20 for us. So now I have 2 chicks in the bator and one pip. While my back was turned, somehow the bulb in my bator came unscrewed
idunno.gif
and the temp went down to 88!
ep.gif
I quickly cracked opened the bator and screwed the bulb back in tight and the light came on. The chicks revived and are now rolling around again. I have 13 eggs to go! I sure hope that cracking that bator doesn't cause any problems. The humidity is awesome right now at around 70 percent, and we're back up to 93 degrees so far.

Back
Top Bottom