Against HOA Rules, How Hard Would You Fight?

Well I have a neighborhood association that has CC&Rs and a $100 a month deed restriction fee, notice that's not HOA dues. My CC&Rs state basically the same thing, no animals, livestock or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred or kept on any lot. The comical part is right above that it states: Antennae, Satellite dishes, No external antennae, satellite receiving dishes or other structures designed or used for receiving any type of radio, television, or other communication signal shall be located on any lots or houses. Odd that every house in the area has one or more mounted on the house. The most ironic part is that when I called to ask who enforces the By laws I was told its up the the property owners. Hmmm my neighbor has chickens as well, I guess its a don't ask don't tell scenario
smile.png
I guess if I keep them off the ground they technically aren't on the lot?

Well, you could be a rebel like me, and just have chickens & not ask or tell the HOA. If your HOA is not enforcing other rules (like mine which also ignores the CC&R's) I feel I should be able to break the 'rules' too. After all my chickens after all don't bark at 2am and wake people up.
Try to hide them as long as you can from the HOA & neighbors, (I give my extra eggs to non-neighborhood friends), try to choose less noisy breeds of chickens (I'm sure some of the knowledgable member can help you with that), and it would be handy to find someone that can 'legally' have chickens and would welcome additions to their flock if the HOA board does give you trouble. Have you considered Bantams? They might be easier to conceal..Good luck!

Quote:
Restricting satellite dishes was once common--back when they were new, and with a diameter of 5' or 6'. However, that restriction is no longer legal. FCC rules forbid interferance with legally accessible signals. Antenna over a certain height can be restricted, but those would notmally require a license.

Wow! I could've written your post b/c I'm in the exact same situation: similar subdivision, HOA, concerns. Heeeey, are you a neighbor?? If so, we could totally buddy up and try to change things.
big_smile.png

Like you, the idea of owning chickens NEVER crossed my mind and we are/were also thinking of moving (for other reasons as well as the whole chicken thing). I sent an email to our mgmt company who forwarded it to the powers that be. It was a semi-formal letter addressing some concerns people may have and pointing out the many benefits of chicken ownership as well as comparing them to the more common household pets. I sent it the 1st week of March (2011) and I haven't heard a peep from anyone yet. The mgmt company said it could take months to even years. So my plan, if we don't move, is to wait a year and just go for it if I still haven't received a response. Meanwhile, I'm just gathering more info and mentally designing a coop. I wanted to own a variety of chickens, but I think I may just stick to faverolles. Their breed description depicts them as being very tame and extremely docile. In my opinion, that translates to being very quiet birds. (Someone please correct if I'm wrong about that!)

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted, as I may follow.

First, let me say I sympathize and hope you are successful in fighting your HOA regulations against backyard chickens. This trend is sweeping America, and a few quiet hens kept as pets have no more impact on the neighbors than loud dogs or screeching parrots.

Speaking of parrots, I've posted this as a tongue-in-cheek response to averting unwanted interest and comments about stealth chickens by identifying them as an exotic avian pet. "Oh, those? They're Australian Ground Parrots. I got them at a pet store because my kids wanted a really different pet."

Then it occurred to me to actually look on Google Images to see what the bird really looks like. Here's a picture:

47849_ground_parrot.jpg

Now stretch the imagination a bit for discussing this issue with your HOA reps by showing a picture of the Old English breed of chicken and calling it an Australian Ground Parrot:

47849_old_english.jpg

The HOA rep sees long tailfeathers and colorful plumage and, not knowing a thing about chickens, assumes your hens really ARE parrots.
big_smile.png

I suppose I should go get another cup of coffee now and come back to earth, but I truly believe the concept of this kind of benign duplicity illustrates how absurd the rules are about keeping hens, when your neighbors could be keeping GROUND PARROTS that would be noisier.

HOA makes my blood boil. I can remember the first time I read 'the HOA rules" and just cringing and wishing we hadn't.
I don't know what the difference between someone keeping a dog/cat/PARROT in/outside their home would be compared to a chicken or 2....or 8.
wink.png

Seriously, there were nasty flea infested cats trolling my neighborhood, & poor dogs left outside to howl all day. Having a enclosed chicken coop/run in the backyard should be fine IMO!
ETA.....we moved btw!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We have yet to hear anything from the HOA board president whom I contacted asking if there was a way to change the rule or get a variance. I'll follow up with him at next month's meeting. We have kind of decided that next year we will get chicks regardless because hopefully a year will have been enough time for them to forget!
smile.png
We can build a shed-looking coop (maybe the Garden Coop but have it enclosed around the bottom under the coop itself so you can't see into the run from over the fence) and hang some wind chimes. That way we just have a shed back there...I'm really hoping we can get a variance though because it would make it easier.

Peep a Boo and Kimmypie..
I'm in the exact same situation..Have you heard anything back yet??
Excuse my ignorance but is a variance easier to get? Does that mean they make an exception for just you?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom