Age for outdoor exploration?

I live in FL and temps are still in the high 80's- low 90's. At what age can our chicks (securely) explore the outdoors?

Securely? Not possible, unless you build a really good predator proof pen for them to explore.
I let my chicks play in a small animal play pen, under supervision. They were 1 1/2 week old chicks at the time, temps were the same as yours. I let them play for hours at a time and they were fine. My chickens are 4months now and 3-4lbs each and i saw a hawk eyeing them the day before last, poor chickens can never be safe. Before the hawk, it was a stray cat laying on the other side of the fence watching them. I am surprised they lasted this long. I'm currently building a large run, that will be mostly predator proof, so i don't have to worry and always check on them so much.

Last edited:
As long as you keep the chicks secure from predators, including those in the air, as young as you like, as long as it's warm enough.

They are tougher than we think. If Mama is raising them, they are out exploring in a day or so, and just popping under her to warm up. The exposure to cool helps them feather out faster, and I think they grow stronger and healthier. Since I don't have a broody, I just brood mine outside from the start - in a pen in our outdoor run even in temps in the teens and twenties. So as long as you can put them in an enclosure and protect them from predators, they'll benefit from the experience.

I built a small coop for my chicks that is portable and can be taken outside, but is easily put in the main coop (a garden shed). I also made a small run for them, which i can attach to the small coop - that way they can be outside, peck at grass, dust bath etc without being worried about predators.

I let my hens raise my chicks so at about 4 weeks old, i let them and out and let mother do her thing. I have lost one chick to hawks, but i consider it part of the great scheme of things. We do have some feral cats around, but the flock chases them away!

Securely? Not possible, unless you build a really good predator proof pen for them to explore.
I let my chicks play in a small animal play pen, under supervision. They were 1 1/2 week old chicks at the time, temps were the same as yours. I let them play for hours at a time and they were fine. My chickens are 4months now and 3-4lbs each and i saw a hawk eyeing them the day before last, poor chickens can never be safe. Before the hawk, it was a stray cat laying on the other side of the fence watching them. I am surprised they lasted this long. I'm currently building a large run, that will be mostly predator proof, so i don't have to worry and always check on them so much.

By securely, I meant that they'd be in a temporary run and supervised.

Thanks everyone!! We will have our first field trip tomorrow then. ;)

Back
Top Bottom