Age of these/ ready to go out?

I do not know the age of the chicks but this is the coop we just built for them. I am thinking of taking out the heat lamp now though
1BC0EBB4-2B71-4EEF-86DF-4EDC04BCE47F.jpeg

If it's 28-40 at night, I would keep the heat lamp. Let the birds tell you what temp is good. Sneak up at night and see if they are huddled under the lamp or sleeping away from it. I remember I had Polish chicks and one time they were all standing under the lamp!! So it got lowered. Watch your birds!

I see you are using that clamp with the heat lamp. Don't. I think the majority of fire hazard with a heat lamp is that clamp. They are not dependable. Use wire or chain to support it. Not string or plastic that can burn or melt, but wire or chain. It's like anything else, if they are used appropriately they work well. If they are not used properly they are a hazard.

The chicks look like they are Ok for those temperatures. If you properly support that lamp you can leave it in as a safety measure but you'll probably find they don't need it.

Yes thank you this was before I reinforced it with a very sturdy metal clamp that is used to clamp wood etc very strong. I thought the same and have the wire tied up.

They seem ok. They have been huddling but not sure if it’s just new environment or cold. Will play it by ear. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom