Age of this Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gammond, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    My mother in law is trying to tell me that this hen is 1.5 years... although she hasn't laid egg in the 4 months I've had her, she seems skinny, has a really long toenail, and always has always poopy butt. My other chickens are healthy and thriving. Could she be an old hen?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many of my really old hens get thicker in the legs, besides that, it is harder to tell age after a year or two. She could have been poorly kept. Without proper nutrition egg laying can suffer. She looks like she could be molting and that would cause her to stop laying. Feed her well, give her a good rest and a stress free environment and she should return to laying in a few months. As far as guessing at her age she does look to be about 2 years old so that could be accurate.

3. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Thanks. I brought her back to my MILs and she thinks the hen has an obstruction in her throat. She had an empty crop and was weezing. They were free range on the farm before I got her, so she probably ate something that got stuck. I will keep you posted.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you had her 4 mos. before returning her to you MIL, I would imagine she had the crop issues while you had her.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Leghorns are very prolific layers, so if you haven't gotten any eggs in 4 months, she's past laying age and is at least older than 18 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by