Age to breed

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
At what age are roosters ready to breed new baby chicks and same questions for pullets. I assume for pullets you should at least wait until their eggs are adult sized? Anything else I should be aware of for picking fertilized eggs to hatch?

When you are thinking about breeding - keep a tally sheet on the counter and check your eggs as you cook. When you are getting 95-100% bulls eyes - you can set with confidence.

Do not set small eggs, or weak shelled eggs, or double Yorkers.

Do know that on here several years ago - we kept a running tally of eggs set, and chicks hatched. People just added their data to the data before. When we really got enough data to be statistically relevant, it came out pretty positive, incubator or broody hen, that 50% was average hatch. Of course some people had better, and some people had worse individual hatches... but the average was 50%. So I always figure if it is over 50% I am doing good, and if it is under 50%, really not so good - but I plan for a 50% hatch.

Mrs K

When you are thinking about breeding - keep a tally sheet on the counter and check your eggs as you cook. When you are getting 95-100% bulls eyes - you can set with confidence.

Do not set small eggs, or weak shelled eggs, or double Yorkers.

Do know that on here several years ago - we kept a running tally of eggs set, and chicks hatched. People just added their data to the data before. When we really got enough data to be statistically relevant, it came out pretty positive, incubator or broody hen, that 50% was average hatch. Of course some people had better, and some people had worse individual hatches... but the average was 50%. So I always figure if it is over 50% I am doing good, and if it is under 50%, really not so good - but I plan for a 50% hatch.

Mrs K

Thank you! Can you see a double yolker when candling?

Back
Top Bottom