Age to Change Feeders

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
I have a question about when to change types of feeders. I have read a lot about how the chicks need to be several months old to have enough weight for a tredle feeder. Because my chicks are 3 weeks old, eating like little piglets, and I want to stay ahead of any mouse problem, I wanted to change to a no waste feeder. I have been using a simple feeder like the red one below.

But to meet the objectives I have on a larger feeder, less waste, keep them from kicking sand into the feeder (a lot of sand), I made a feeder like the second one shown.

Tonight I went to check the chicks before bed, and one of the girls was in one of the feeder ports of the new no waste feeder. Only tail feathers sticking out, and her feet in the bottom opening to the food part of the port. I kept trying to get her out, and she kept scrambling back in. I finally tipped it and dumped her fluffy butt out.

They are three weeks old today. Am I changing too early? Is there any way to keep her from pulling this move, and getting stuck? I brought the feeder inside so she doesn't do this and get stuck overnight.

Attachments

• Screenshot (947).png
    Screenshot (947).png
    206.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot (946).png
    Screenshot (946).png
    159.6 KB · Views: 3
I think you're on the right track. We also use a feeder similar to what you have now, we cut 2.5 holes in a 5 gallon bucket and use a 4 inch tube directly in the middle for spreading out the feed. We also changed over at the 3 week mark, had the same problem, they would "walk right in" the holes. What worked for us is to raise the feeder so they had to stand about neck high to eat and could not get right in, this worked halfway. In the end it took about 2 weeks where they grew enough where they could not fit into the holes.

The next time we do this, we will make the holes much smaller or simply cut a half circle so they cannot fit their bodies in the holes. I'm not sure about your exact set up or if you can remove those inserts to block off part of the holes until they grow a little bit more?

I don't think I can remove the inserts and make it work. But at least I am not the only one who didn't have one trying to stuff themself into the insert. I will try putting it in for limited times, in about another week when they get a bit bigger, until I know they are used to it without using it as a jungle gym.

It was actually pretty funny watching her get fussy with me about being removed. lol

It is funny, I agree. Ours would walk on in and eat inside the bucket those little buggers :)
After raising it up some and them getting a little bigger was all it took, I also created a smaller version out of a 2 gallon bucket for the next time, to transition to the big bucket, so I can start training them at 2-3 weeks to not waste so much....time will tell if that works or not!

These are my first chicks. If anyone is going to pull shenanigans, it is usually the little girl that was determined to be in the feeder port.

I am having fun watching them develop their personalities. I didn't realize just how distinct some of their personalities would be!

Back
Top Bottom