age to remove them from "brooder"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chorn, Apr 17, 2012.

1. chorn

chorn New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    Hi, Im new to raising chickens and new to this site. This question has probably been asked several times. I have my chicks in a kiddie pool under a light inside the coop. My coop is a older utility shed. I've put up a wall inside the coop for a storage area and the actual coop. If I leave the light on, can turn my 2 week old chicks loose in the coop. They won't be going outside for 3-4 more weeks.

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    :welcome
    It should be fine to let them loose for a bit of a run around. Make sure heated area is easily accessible though, so they can go back under the light if they get cold. :)
    We used to let our chicks roam around the empty room we had them in, they had an absolute blast.

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I am a naughty chicken owner, I have let mine run through the house and
    both the chicks and the children were in absolute heaven.

We just lay paper towels down for them to run on.

4. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    My 2 and 3 week olds are already in their coop with the lamp. They'll love it! Go for it :)

5. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I guess it depends what state you live in... I live in CT and I have 1 week old chicks and if the weather stays mild I would like to move them in about 2-4 weeks from brooder to outside. I want to move them now to outside now but I'll prob need a lamp for nights and I dont want to do that cause I fear a fire could go off, there's rats around the coops that chew the wire and start a fire.. I'll wait till end of April, early May to move them in a coop with out a lamp.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I'm in Wisconsin and sent my chicks to the coop at 2 1/2 weeks old with the lamp. Last night was their first night without the lamp and they were not happy lol their now 7 weeks old for the oldest group and 3 weeks for the youngest group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by