Aggersive roo need advice!

To me it sounds like you are kind of taunting him and it's not your fault- you don't know how to react. Good thing you are asking for help. My RIR rooster was a real jerk and still is from time to time- I could not get close enough during his attack to push him to the ground. I kicked him and I made it count- all the time hoping I did not hurt him.
roll.png
smile.png
But, he asked for it and has since been pretty respectful. He is still ornery, but ornery I can handle. I can't have a mean roo at my house. Too many kids and visitors for that business.

Whatever you do, I think you need to make it worth while. Get the point across big or he won't get it. Not saying booting him is a wise choice, but sometimes you gotta work with what you got. (I also carry a golf club-- to poke mine when he thinks he wants to go another round to deter him... I want to clarify that I would never swing the club unless I wanted to make sure he never got back up.)

Oh, and Farm_Maven, your roo looks just like my sweet, sweet Leroy- who I WISH would kick Big Red's hiney and become Alpha!

Quote:
I know I have read that you can kill a chicken by turning them upsidedown, putting them on their back can kill them. Old wives tales don't work. IMO you need to go the "kind and gentle" route here... do the gentle things suggested.... all of them... the warm baths, the carrying him around, holding him, talking to him... being kind and gentle with him. Setting him down on the ground and holding him low (making him squat like a hen) while you hold him there, are "over" him - pet and talk to him. Putting him on his back does not hypnotise him, it is killing him, he can't breathe.

If all else fails, no matter how pretty he is... either find a home for him telling them all about him... or make him into a good chicken soup.

Good luck... holding, petting, talking to young roo chicks as they grow up seems to keep them from "turning aggressive and mean".

Quote:
He is a real sweetheart and a gentleman too. Takes good care of our girls. he will tap on my leg when he wants me to rub his comb and wattles.
smile.png

My little BCM roo did try to challenge me some nights ago. The "making him squat" til he submits, worked with him too. he's been sweet since.

Quote:
He is a real sweetheart and a gentleman too. Takes good care of our girls. he will tap on my leg when he wants me to rub his comb and wattles.
smile.png

My little BCM roo did try to challenge me some nights ago. The "making him squat" til he submits, worked with him too. he's been sweet since.

I just love Leroy. He is not that friendly, but he just minds his own business. Gotta love a man who can do that!!
smile.png

I think my biggest problem from the get go is that I ended up with 8 roosters out of 24 chickens and it was just too many. Red FOUGHT his way rightfully to the top and is carrying a chip on his shoulder.

I wanted so badly to try the squat technique but he was coming at me hell bent and there just wasn't time to think it through. So a swift kick into the shed seemed to have cured him. I honestly did not want to hurt him, just make him sore and teach him a lesson-- but at that point I probably didn't care if he got back up either!

I dont like people-aggressive roos. All the roos I have had have always been respectul to me from the day I get them even from chicks! I had a EE roo who was starting to get aggressive I held him down to ground and picked him and said "NO" walked him through all his pretty ladies and didnt have a issue with him again. Unfortunately I no loonger have him I gave him to someone who wanted to breed his hens with him.

Hope it works out with this guy, he sure is pretty! Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom