Aggresive Muscovy Drake ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it sounds like he was messed around with at a young age by chickens and now that he's older and bigger he might be looking for revenge? I don't know, but when I had my geese I had this one duckling that always and I mean always pestered them and once the geese and were bigger the table turned one day. If you honestly think its the muscovy drake then I would seriously consider cooping him up and see if it keeps happening. If it's him then I would just butcher him and eat him.

Quote:
Please don't paint a breed with a broad brush like this. Inexperienced people that are interested in ducks could read this and actually believe that muscovies are 8 feet tall with 10 inch fangs and talons and carry weapons and will kill everything in sight.
Thankfully, experienced duck people know this statement is incorrect.

I had my muscovy drake for supper last week, he was sticking his head into the peafowls kennel, trying to break my peacocks neck. Get rid of him!

First off, Male Muscovys are normally more aggressive and some times it may be for their agressive nature in reproducking! The experienc I have had what Male muscovys has always been great. Yes they bite and they can be intimadating to some (sorry i am not the best speller) how ever they can be the most wonderful duck ever. If I were you I would brush up on the books and do some more research prior to eating him. Its about educating your self prior to getting mad for his behavior. So read up

WOW... sorry to start a rumble.
hide.gif

To answer some of the questions:

The chickens are in their coops and have a small area of 2x4 wire to stick their heads out.
The attacks are during the day. Coops are inside, back wall of barn.... no predators in there, except the dang drake.
IF there was some outside predator out there I would know about it. I work from home and have someone here 95% of the time, barn is approx 100 ft from house.
I have SEEN this drake hanging on the tails of some of my BIG roosters and tearing out feathers of others.
I have seen him chase off smaller & younger chickens and YES kill a 3 month old Austrolorp chick, I passed it off as a fluke.
sad.png
Just grabbed its neck.
He patrols the back isle...chickens flee from him.
He does not follow or hang out with the other ducks. over 20 others, different breeds
I have 1 other Muscovy drake "Haggard" with 5 hens. They are in a separate pen. ALL are sweet as sugar, eat from my hands, follow me around etc. I have hesitated moving him in there with them since he seams so rough with the other birds. Glad I haven't.
This morning he was flogging (duck style) the Muscovy pen.
barnie.gif

Not sure that covers everyone's question & concerns. I am not trying to "paint a bad picture" of the breed. Like I said, I have 5 other Muscovy that are WONDERFUL.
I just want to know if anyone else had a rouge Muscovy drake, attacking their other birds. I see that some do, so have my answer.

THANK YOU ALL for your answers.
hugs.gif

Birds have personalities just like humans, and some are just outright mean. You can also see it in dogs. You never know why or what set an animal off to such behavior. In your case you have already said what needs to be done. Pen him up or have him for dinner. Now you need to decide the usefulness of the bird. Is he your favorite pet, is he needed for breeding, or is he just a watch dog you prefer to keep. I know what I would do, but it is your bird, your decision.

Quote:
Please don't paint a breed with a broad brush like this. Inexperienced people that are interested in ducks could read this and actually believe that muscovies are 8 feet tall with 10 inch fangs and talons and carry weapons and will kill everything in sight.

Sorry that my post was a bit exaggerated. Can I ask you a question, though? Have you ever raised Scovy drakes around other species?

Quote:

Sorry that my post was a bit exaggerated. Can I ask you a question, though? Have you ever raised Scovy drakes around other species?

I have and have never had any serious problems, and have had quite a few Drakes. The only thing I have seen is if a chicken ventures too close they may get nipped but nothing worse. But I do believe some drakes of any breed can kill other smaller animals. We even had one of our drakes kill another drake years ago. [Muscovy]

I am sorry for your losses. But I have had multiple Muscovy drakes and never have they been mean. The male I have now is with all types of chickens. Female Muscovys, call ducks, and turkeys. He always helps raise the babies in the spring. He is the perfect gentleman. Doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Hope everything works out for you.

Quote:

I have Scovy drakes right now in a pen with Call ducks, a blind Pekin female, a disabled Runner drake, a Blue Slate turkey, a Rouen duck, a Cayuga duck, a White Leghorn hen, Aussie Spotted ducks & drakes oh and a peacock. No aggression issues.

I have 60 plus Muscovys right now on my farm. They free range all over my property with guineas, Seramas, OEGB's, bantam Cochins, peacocks, Lavender Orpingtons, Production Red chickens, geese, Call ducks, and bantam Wyandottes. I have probably 25 drakes. No aggression issues with them at all. I've never had an aggressive drake. As I said before, sometimes we have a tussle between the drakes. And I do mean a tussle. Not a fight. They grab each others wings, swing each other around, and it ends.

I have Muscovys in my barn free and roaming next to little itty bitty OEGB hens. Eating from the same feed pans. Drinking from the same waters. My Scovy drakes START at 17 lbs. They could snap Lil Mama's neck without even trying. But they've never bothered.

Are there rogue drakes? I guess there could be. I've never seen one. I'm not saying there isn't but with all the drakes on my place we've never had one hurt another animal on my farm. Then again, they have 35 acres to roam, lots of mice and snakes to catch, and they're never bored.

The OP's drake could be hanging in the barn looking for mice. Muscovy's are meat eaters and he's probably learned that the barn is a good place for him to get a great mouse meal. Why he'd be breaking the necks of chickens, I have no idea. It doesn't make any sense.

So I guess the answer to your question is YES, I have raised Scovy drakes with other species, LOTS of other species. Even in the same 1/2 acre pen with lots of other species and still have seen no signs of aggression.

Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom