Aggresive rooster - is removing spurs an option?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britcheflee, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Britcheflee

Britcheflee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    We have a very aggresive rooster - which to be honest I dont mind as he is doing his job and keeps a watch out for the girls when they are outside scratching around....it is interesting that I have learnt his various calls...a loud rrrooooop noise if something flys over that may be dangerous - the hens leg it to the hen house or gather together - quiet bok bok noises when he has found something good to eat for them.....problem is he is too protective....dang thing has attacked the kids a number of times causing injury, has whacked me out of the blue leaving a good hole in my thigh and generally is a pain in the backside for us as we cant turn our backs on him whilst outside.
    He has pretty good spurs - is there a way to humanely remove/reduce these? Can they be trimmed?
    Actually, he is a good watch-dog too as he lets out a lot of crows if anyone comes to the house or anything out of the ordinary happens so have no intention of getting rid of him.....well, until the next time he gets me:rolleyes:

Lee

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Spurs can be trimmed, I use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to trim them.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    We usually leave the spurs on, I like the way they look but if he is attacking people I say eat him and get a nicer roo. [​IMG] Mean roos make good dumplings!

My husband has these really sharp pruners or wire cutters...IDK what it is really but they are sharp and you just cut off the spurs.

Good Luck with your roo!

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I use regular dog nail trimmers...jost stops them from being pointy! They still can inflict some damage! Your best bet is to teach them who is boss! or make stew

5. aubreyt78

aubreyt78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    Just wanted to say that my roosters are also watch dogs; whenever I come home, leave or if someone is near my house they howl, so needless to say when I am lying in bed and hear them and it is late I get spooked!!!!!!! But, I have 9 roosters, and 13 hens................somehow they all get along.

6. MelissaGibbs

MelissaGibbs New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    My husband trims our rooster's spurs with dykes. We just catch him and hold him like a baby on his back. Two quick snips (we leave about an inch and a half so they don't even bleed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by